Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tag Soup or a Spiker??????? >

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Old 12-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Assuming that shooting the spike is legal (it isn't in my state), and assuming my freezer is bare as the question states then I'm shooting that spike.

I don't need to shoot it, but I want my venison. Those of you who said the deer "earned" a pass, give me a break! It's a freakin' deer. It hasn't earned anything, but a ride in the back of my truck on the way to the freezer.

Those of you that would eat tag soup for your "QDM" reasons need to consider that if the first and only deer you have a chance to fill your freezer with is at the end of the season with 15 minutes left and it's a little spiker then QDM in your area is out the window anyway.

Dead spike=full tummy.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:12 AM

Spike gets the pass. I enjoy venison meat, but I am the only one in the family who eats it. it isa luxury for me, not a neccesity. Now, if my situation was vice versa, I might reconsider, in the given scenario.

If we can cheat (lol), I'd shoot a doe way before that...jk Tony, sort of.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Bry....

If I go an entire season....and the only shot opp. I have is a spike on the last day.....

You damn right he's earned a pass.....lol. He kicked my ass!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bry....

If I go an entire season....and the only shot opp. I have is a spike on the last day.....

You damn right he's earned a pass.....lol. He kicked my ass!
How do you figure? He showed up in front of you with the season still open. He's earned some severe lung hemmoraging.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:27 AM

I dont get the philosophy if I dont someone else will, or it isnt working if all I have seen is a spike on the last day. By adding to the "problem" (if you see it that way) by killing bucks younger than what you are looking for, you aren't helping. Passing that spike gives you a chance at a 2.5 yo the next year, shooting him certainly doesn't.

If you aren't looking for a certain quality buck and only want venison from your deer, I agree shoot the spiker.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The spike would get an arrow from me. On opening day even.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without hesitation, I would draw back, settle my pin, And shoot!

At one of his spikes
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

How do you figure? He showed up in front of you with the season still open. He's earned some severe lung hemmoraging.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I'm using the "Lung Hemmoraging" quote...that's awesome!

Getting back to the original thread. I voted that I would shoot this spike buck, given that I had not shot a deer all year and that the season was coming to a close. There is nothing wrong (unless shooting a spike buck is illegal in your county/state) with shooting a spike, button buck or small doe. I love deer meat and is half the reason I hunt. I am lucky that I get to hunt w/ a nice doe population, but if I did not bag one as of yet, you bet, that spike buck is going down.
IMO, this is no different than someone settling on a decent 8 ptr (118" to 125"), the last day of the hunt on a trip or whatever it might be. You see this all the time on our beloved hunting shows. There is nothing wrong w/ anyone shooting a deer, given they have a tag for it...why would it be?

Good question & thread.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot of hunters out there that go all season without getting ANY deer.
LC..th eflip side of this is....there are plenty of guys who pss on NUMEROUS deer every season.....so passing on a spike buck isn't really a big deal.
not in THIS scenario ......
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

LC..th eflip side of this is....there are plenty of guys who pss on NUMEROUS deer every season.....so passing on a spike buck isn't really a big deal.
I understand and agree. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to them. If I didn't have any venison in the freezer, it would be a BIG deal to me to pass on it though.

Quick Reply: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.