Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tag Soup or a Spiker??????? >

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

I'm surpised so many have admitted to a willingness to shoot a spike. I am one of them but I shot a little six which is the SAME thing.

I wonder if you had said6pt or small 8pt if the results would have been any different. If your managinging I would guess there is no difference between a spike or a six.

Are there guys out there who would shoot a spike and not a BB??
Old 12-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I think what it came down to was it was all or nothing. The very last possible chance to get meat for the year will kill a lot of spikes and 6 pointers. LOL
Old 12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's tag soup? I'd shoot him on the first day, second day or last. I purchase an extra tag each year and I usually take the first deer past my stand. It just so happened that a spike was the first this year, I hunted several more days and even passed on another one. I took a doe with my second tag just before gun season came in. I'm a deer hunter and I make no apologies for killing a deer regardless of his antler size.

I don't need to shoot it, but I want my venison. Those of you who said the deer "earned" a pass, give me a break! It's a freakin' deer. It hasn't earned anything, but a ride in the back of my truck on the way to the freezer.
I agree. They're deer, they taste good and I ain't one to get all hung up on antler size.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

Ton-E, i had to chuckle while on stand this evening, this thread came across my mind, I had a spike come in 15 yards BUT its not the last day and i had an hour left [8D]
Do not Hex me again [8D]Start a thread with something big on it Then Hex me
LOL Dan!!!! I will try!!

ORIGINAL: Planter

I'm surpised so many have admitted to a willingness to shoot a spike. I am one of them but I shot a little six which is the SAME thing.

I wonder if you had said6pt or small 8pt if the results would have been any different. If your managinging I would guess there is no difference between a spike or a six.

Are there guys out there who would shoot a spike and not a BB??
I would NOT shoot a BB in the same situation .....and I had to think about WHY I wouldn't ...... great question ....
Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

I would smoke the spike...can't eat antlers anyway
Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had this scenario this evening Tony but It was a 3 point Instead and our season Is not closed yet. I thought of you right away.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Original:Bloodcrick
Ton-E, i had to chuckle while on stand this evening, this thread came across my mind, I had a spike come in 15 yards BUT its not the last day and i had an hour left [8D]
Do not Hex me again [8D]Start a thread with something big on it Then Hex me
Original:Schultzy
I had this scenario this evening Tony but It was a 3 point Instead and our season Is not closed yet. I thought of you right away.
I was thinking of you as well Tony, while I was cutting my buck's "junk" off the other day while field dressing. I immediately then thought "respect" and laughed out loud even though I was all alone.

It looks like you are well "thought of" around here.......or is it just.... well......you are just thought of.

Oh and back to the last question in this thread. Personally, if I hunted all season and hadn't killed anything for the freezer, and in the waning minutes of the season, the BB or the little six present a shot, they are probably going to get it.

But I wouldn't shoot either if I already somethingin the freezer, whereas the spike MIGHT still get it if I had a remaining buck tag. I just believethe majority of spikes will remain "inferior", whatever that means.

And I consider myself more a horn hunter than a meat hunter although I guess I am a little of both. Hypocritical on my part?Absolutely.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I was thinking of you as well Tony, while I was cutting my buck's "junk" off the other day while field dressing. I immediately then thought "respect" and laughed out loud even though I was all alone.

It looks like you are well "thought of" around here.......or is it just.... well......you are just thought of.

DEFINITELY the latter for some [&:] some of the PM's I have gotten lately .....

Oh and back to the last question in this thread. Personally, if I hunted all season and hadn't killed anything for the freezer, and in the waning minutes of the season, the BB or the little six present a shot, they are probably going to get it.

But I wouldn't shoot either if I already somethingin the freezer, whereas the spike MIGHT still get it if I had a remaining buck tag. I just believethe majority of spikes will remain "inferior", whatever that means.

And I consider myself more a horn hunter than a meat hunter although I guess I am a little of both. Hypocritical on my part?Absolutely.

I am glad I can provide some thought and humor to a few of you guys

64 vs 57 for killing the spike ....interesting ,,,,,
Old 12-15-2008, 12:19 PM

I voted yes, but it is really a vote for killing whatever I feel like killing that day. Last day of season and no deer killed...yeah, I am shooting. Would a bb as well. I see no difference, other than the spike is one year older.

Why is it that a deertrying to be justfied as worth shooting always a "fat" one though? LOL
Old 12-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Im going to take a shot at the spike I LOVE VENI

Quick Reply: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.