Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is? >

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Doesn't the hunter decide how they want it scored? As a typical or Non-typical?
You got It Dan. A decent measurer that knows whats going on should be able to help the hunter make that decision by pointing them In the right direction as why It should be scored a certain way. The guy who scored both of them bucks (Matt and Kidd's) I don't think knew what he was doing.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

The system is what it is...whether it is fair or not is not for me to decide. I like it because every deer is scored on the same playing field. Franks deer is as unique as any EVER killed. You could never put a system in place to reward that deer as equally as most others.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whitetail minimums are (net) typical 125; Nontypical 155.

The first P&Y that I ever killed scored a gross of 146 4/8 but only netted 126 4/8. Still I don't have a problem with the scoring system per say. However,if I have to pay the $25.00 recording fee, I wish they would list both scores in the book instead of net only.

As has been mentioned "it is what it is". If you want to be a member of any club, you have to play by their rules or go elsewhere. It is always disappointing to get "bumped out" by the "letter of the law" so to speak, but on the other hand that is what makes it the "standard" that it is.

With all of the "QDM" trends going on I can't wait to hear the crying when the minimums get bumped up, which could happen someday.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Bartender

Because they can.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I believe the rack must have at least 25" of non typical point before it can be entered in the non typical category. I may be wrong though.

Darrall
Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

I believe the rack must have at least 25" of non typical point before it can be entered in the non typical category. I may be wrong though.

Darrall
A buck only has to have one abnormal point to be entered into the non-typical category.

However, most measurers use afigure of 10%+ non-typical growthas a rule of thumb for suggesting what category for one to enter their animal.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

P&Y and B&C is just another way for someone to make money off of deer . He if you send us this much money we will put you in our record book . No thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Wrong!!!!
They also protect your right to hunt!

Darrall
Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

MC...I'm not doubting they do a lot for sportsmen.......but I look at it the same way I do any donations. I used to give to the United Way campaigns.....until I found out several years ago that the man heading up the org. owned 27 vehicles and NINE homes.

Kinda sucked the life out of my view of "giving" and sounded a LOT like someone was doing a lot of living high on the hog with my $$.

Open up the books.....ALL of them.....and I'd consider donating to the P&Y. Show me where ALL the money goes.

Now I'm not insinuating they do anything wrong with the $$. I'd just like to rest assured they weren't. Only way I know to do this is to open 'em up (the books) and supply each and every member with a detailed accounting of all the $$. If I'm paying for the directors to go to Alaska to hunt and hold a conference.....show me that (and how much it is). Let me decide.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

MC...I'm not doubting they do a lot for sportsmen.......but I look at it the same way I do any donations. I used to give to the United Way campaigns.....until I found out several years ago that the man heading up the org. owned 27 vehicles and NINE homes.

Kinda sucked the life out of my view of "giving" and sounded a LOT like someone was doing a lot of living high on the hog with my $$.

Open up the books.....ALL of them.....and I'd consider donating to the P&Y. Show me where ALL the money goes.

Now I'm not insinuating they do anything wrong with the $$. I'd just like to rest assured they weren't. Only way I know to do this is to open 'em up (the books) and supply each and every member with a detailed accounting of all the $$. If I'm paying for the directors to go to Alaska to hunt and hold a conference.....show me that (and how much it is). Let me decide.
Don't know if they still do it, but the years I was a member you got a financial report.

Quick Reply: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.