Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is? >

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

I also like gross score but I also like "air" because I love wide racked bucks. I don't want a change because change is all we ever do these days. The whitetail hunting world has already compromised on several things over the last few years.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Gross scores. My only buck to date would have made P&Y book were it not for the fact he was a 9-point. Deductions. Why not count what God gave them?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i honestly dont care, i just want a big bodied one and some drop tines!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frank's 07' buck. (Kidd 642)

Gross 143" and change..........Net 92 5/8"
I didn't even know a rack could HAVE 50" in deductions! I think it's the closest I've ever seen the big guy come to crying. [:-]
In any event I'm taking mine to another official scorer maybe next week to have it done again since I have recieved overwhelming evidence that the guy who scored our bucks last year messed mine up and I would imagine then most likely Frank's as well.......but could you imagine shooting a buck like this with 6+" bases that doesn't come within 30" of P&Y minimum!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie,

SCI scores all game species as either "Free Range" or "Estate". The twocategories are never intermingled. As with B&C or P&Y, the hunter must sign an affidavit to the nature of his hunt before the entry will be accepted. I'm sure there's some cheating...seems there always is when egos are involved.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Frank's 07' buck. (Kidd 642)

Gross 143" and change..........Net 92 5/8"
I didn't even know a rack could HAVE 50" in deductions! I think it's the closest I've ever seen the big guy come to crying. [:-]
In any event I'm taking mine to another official scorer maybe next week to have it done again since I have recieved overwhelming evidence that the guy who scored our bucks last year messed mine up and I would imagine then most likely Frank's as well.......but could you imagine shooting a buck like this with 6+" bases that doesn't come within 30" of P&Y minimum!

Though its a shame, I don't think it will net much more than that. There's a lot of abnormal length there.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Though its a shame, I don't think it will net much more than that. There's a lot of abnormal length there.
Which brings me to my other confusion about the P&Y scoring.........why wouldn't that be considered a "Non-typical" and where do you decide to DEDUCT from something that isn't typical to begin with?
I'm assuming it was scored as a typical.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Which brings me to my other confusion about the P&Y scoring.........why wouldn't that be considered a "Non-typical" and where do you decide to DEDUCT from something that isn't typical to begin with?
I'm assuming it was scored as a typical.

My thoughts exactly...why on earth isn't that buck a non typical?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

This buck by the looks of It should be scored as a main frame 8 point and then scored as a non typical rather then a typical. He won't make either minimums but he'd score much higher as a non typical.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

This buck by the looks of It should be scored as a main frame 8 point and then scored as a non typical rather then a typical. He won't make either minimums but he'd score much higher as a non typical.

Exactly Steve. Doesn't the hunter decide how they want it scored? As a typical or Non-typical?

Quick Reply: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.