Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Picking out THE tree for your treestand >

Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Picking out the right location is more important than picking out the right tree. if you can find the right location, youll be in good shape, from there look for a tree that is healthy, and atleast as wide as your shoulder. I prefer oak and large maples with enough branches and cover at stand height for concealment. But sometimes that doesnt happen. Ive already found a new location on my property that has been over looked for years, found the spot whenIwas muzzle loader hunting. Is the perfect setup. Exceptthe tree I want to hang in offers little concealment but is much wider than my shoulders and runs right a long a natural funnel through a swail that the deer travel through all year round, and right behind the tree is some real thick brush.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

like everyone else said, location and cover...

if i cant find cover, im going high...

but it seems mannnny trees in my area start to have good cover right about 20ft which is where i like to be...only been a few times i liked the location of trees that had no cover and simply climbed as high as i could....

my favorite spot is difficult...its in a saddle but the only trees that put me in the middle of the action put the deer at or above eye level when they first come off the hill into the saddle...the only thing that saves me is the tree i climb has cover and i can get a couple feet higher, and the trees around and behind me have cover..and i keep a tree or 2 infront of me...still have to be careful about fidgeting...and this year i found deer using a different area sometimes just outta reach...may have to revert to a lock on in there next year...
Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

what is the #1 thing that you look for in a tree?
it's not dead
Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

First location. Next shooting lanes. And third how high I can get up the tree.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

1 location 2 cover
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The #1 thing is location, obviously. After that my LW Alpha can pretty much go in any tree. I like to have the sun at my back so if the deer looks up the sun would be in its eyes. The wind in my face with the sun on my back in the fork of a tree and I'm a happy camper!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

I tend to disagree with you guys to a point. I dont hang in a specific tree that may lack coverbecause it is in the perfect spot. I will sacrifice the perfect spot for the right tree. I like trees that split into 2-3 and hang my stands 25+. I dont use a climber much but I will sit 10 feet higher to make up for the missing cover in a straight tree.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

what is the #1 thing that you look for in a tree?
it's not dead
Good point.

Personally, I just pick the straightest, most limb free, easiest to climb tree. Location isn't a factor. It doesn't matter where I hang my stand, the does just line up for me. They walk by one by one, and if I don't like that one, I just wave them on and they walk away looking somewhat dejected. When the one I want walks in front of me, I giver her a thumbs down and she turns broadside and looks the other way. Isn't it this way for everyone?

Incidentally, there are no bucks within a 20 mile radius of where I hang my stand. Even if I move it, somehow, word gets out and all the bucks in the area vacate.

Quick Reply: Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.