Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Picking out THE tree for your treestand >

Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Picking out THE tree for your treestand

So when you are picking out a tree for your treestand, what is the #1 thing that you look for in a tree?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Picking out THE tree for your treestand

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

So when you are picking out a tree for your treestand, what is the #1 thing that you look for in a tree?
Location. You can hunt low, or high, and make your lockon doing amazing agility stunts... but if you aren't in the right location, it doesn't matter.

After you get your location I look for a tree that is suitable for whichever type of stands I'm using. Don't be afraid to hunt on the ground either.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 PM

I don't look for trees anymore, I look for the right location like Dubbya said, and then make do with a tree within range...Ive had some stands at uncomfortable angles before, which is where a self leveling stand is worth its weight in gold.

If there are ample trees suitable in the immediate area, I just find the easiest one to access that can be hung on a non slanting side since I don't have a leveling lock on.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once I find a spot I want to hunt, I begin looking for trees. I want one where I am not going to be silhouetted against the sky, and there will be limbs providing cover. I know most leaves will be dropped when I am hunting out of the tree. I also prefer to be rather close to the main trail that I am going to be hunting on. I would rather be pinned up about 10 yards in a decent tree than 35 yards off in a great tree.

One of my favorite spots to hunt has no suitable trees, so I hunt out of an amazing blind of fallen over pine limbs.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

After the obvious,I look for tree that will break up my outline.Back drops,forks in them,that sort of thing.The more crap on the tree,the better.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the stand location I killed my buck out of this year.He cam in on me from right behind where the picture was taken and then moved off to the left,my right.Look at small tree directly under my stand and the trees just to the left of the stand.Even though that tree didn't have foliage,it did help break up my outline

Here is another type I like,notice the trash and the fork.This a tough one,absolutely no gree left and this was the absolute most cover I could find.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Location is most important to me as well. I make whatever tree is there work, and if there is no good tree I make a blind. In a lot of funnel situations 20 yards one way or the other means you might not get a shot.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

After the obvious,I look for tree that will break up my outline.Back drops,forks in them,that sort of thing.The more crap on the tree,the better.
That a good tip TFOX.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing i like to do when climbing or hanging a stand is to think about where the sun is going to be when im hunting. The last thing you want is the sun glaring in your face for 4 hours. I know that is kind of nitty thing but it really sucks when you are stuck with it. It makes it less comfortable and takes away from your concealment.
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

A tree that I can't be skylined in...if there are no trees...I play the wind and sit on the ground..Hunt like you're hunting turkeys. Full camo..no movement...make yourself look like a fallin tree or part of an old turned over log

Quick Reply: Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.