Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A serious question... I promise >

A serious question... I promise

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A serious question... I promise

Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default A serious question... I promise

I suffered aserious back injury while on the job back in 2006. Prior to that I pulled 50# pretty easily. Being laid up for 6 months and then wearing a back brace for the next year I lost most of my muscle mass. Figuring I'd never be able to draw again I sold my bow. Well I started getting the itch to shoot again so my boyfriend quizzed me about my old bow and suprised me with a Diamond Edge. I was thrilled, but the pull strength is 50# and I just can't do it. I can pull back about 3 consecutive shots and on the 4th I only make it half-way before pain. I've been doing my best to bulk back up, but can't really figure out exact exercises to help with pull strength.

Any ideas? Techniques? Anything would be welcome. I haven't been bow hunting since 2005 and its killing me [>:]
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Default RE: A serious question... I promise

turn the poundage down
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, I would ask who ever your doctor was during your back issues, about advice or suggestions on specificexcersices to strengthen those muscles. I have no advice on specific things do to becuase Ive never been in that situation... Hope everything works out for you..

You could also just decrease the draw weight to whatever the legal minimum weight is for your state
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turn the poundage down to about 38-40 adn work your way up from there. just dont kill yourself doing it too much at a time.

I bought my GF an edge this past year. It is a very nice bow.
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

What I do is I use a timer and set it for about 50 seconds so by the time I pull back the timer is at arounr 45 seconds and then I hold it until the time is up and shoot the arrow. Do it about 10-15 times before I, personally start hurting. For you I would probably do it for less time to start off, if you even want to try this. Not sure if this will work or not, it seems to work for me.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up lifting weights andslowed downa few years ago when I hit 30 years old.

My right latoid is way bigger than my left...and thats because I've shot bows all my life...so with that being said...I think the best exercise for the particular muscle used for drawing is...drawing your bow...thats the exact exercise you need..

In response to hard core hunter....I agree with him to a a certain extent...

If I was you...I would keep your bow with you on the couch in the evening....draw it back every day in between commercials..

When you start to practice before hunting season dial it down 5-8 pounds...

Good Luck!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I grew up lifting weights andslowed downa few years ago when I hit 30 years old.

My right latoid is way bigger than my left...and thats because I've shot bows all my life...so with that being said...I think the best exercise for the particular muscle used for drawing is...drawing your bow...thats the exact exercise you need..

In response to hard core hunter....I agree with him to a a certain extent...

If I was you...I would keep your bow with you on the couch in the evening....draw it back every day in between commercials..

When you start to practice before hunting season dial it down 5-8 pounds...

Good Luck!!
This is very good advise...I had a injury to my left bicept...and in time this is basically what I did, I turned my bow down to 60# and worked my way back up from there almost the same way as described above.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just be careful drawing your bow with or without an arrow on it. It would be no good to send an arrow through something or blow up teh bow b/c of drawing excercises. I would suggest you get one of those draw things that they have at archery shops that wont allow the bow to "fire" that could keep you from having something bad happen. Good luck
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks targethog....If she's getting it back 3 times before she feels sore than I'd guess she just needsto condition...If it hurts at any poundage..then maybe see the doctor...I say shes ready to train!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Doc told me to switch jobs and give up bow hunting. I kept my job and I'm not ready to throw in the towel for the bow. My back will always hurt, I've got it for life, but I still want to be able to enjoy it. I've been weight training three times per week since August, and while I have noticed a difference in lifting it still hasn't done much for my draw.

Quick Reply: A serious question... I promise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.