Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nobody to blame but yourself... >

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nobody to blame but yourself...

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Well, you are exactly right, but there are guys on here that are going to whine and cry and say you are a big meanie for hurtin their feelings and pointin out the truth..lol
Your right I blame myself because the wind was blowing 30mph and slamming rain into places I didn't know I had...and oh, just imagine this, I didn't see a single deer. Tellme whatYOU would have done different...to make it happen??
I'd call myself and idiot for sitting there... and realize that it was MY fault for even going out. That's one of those days where you use your brain and choose to not attempt to try and make it happen.
Then 4 hours later you'd blame yourself for not going out in that stuff because you just remembered someone of HNI said "Big Bucks REALLY love bad weather".
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I blame myself for having so much damn fun while hunting, Nobody's fault but mine!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 PM

Then 4 hours later you'd blame yourself for not going out in that stuff because you just remembered someone of HNI said "Big Bucks REALLY love bad weather".
Hes not sayin you cant hunt bad weather, just compensate WHERE you hunt to make up for it...if the wind is blowin hard in the wrong direction, hunt a different location.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dubbya....I kinda get what your saying, but I don't see how one can blame yourself if on day #4 of your hunt no deer decide to show up, when days 1-3 you seen deer? Nobody can control deer movement. So, according to your statement, well then I should have moved...ok, let's say I did move becauseI just "knew" that the deer would change there pattern on day#4 and I pick a spot where I have hunted in the past and have had success, but again, no deer...how is someone supposed to "blame" themselves for that?

It's all by chance...50/50 either your going to see deer or not and another 50/50if those deer will bein bow range.

You guys are putting to much pressure on yourselves.
I get you too, it's not about pressure at all. My answer to your above scenario is this: On days 1-3, you didn't connect, (let's assume there is a deer worth shooting on that property) that deer was somewhere in that 3 day span but you weren't in the right place. I'm not saying that I'm always in the right place or neither is anyone else or we'd all tag out on opening day. What I am saying is that it's up to you to find where that deer is at when he isn't where you were on days 1-3...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with a lot of your post Dubbya. I believe I am missing that last 5% attention to detail to get on better bucks, consistently. That is just me. I do so many things well I believe for the woods I hunt, but I am missing something. I believe it is in the fine details of how to bring everything together and do it consistently to give myself the best chance to arrow a mature buck. For example this past week I walked a certain section of the woods I had scouted last winter. I walked into an absolute crap storm of great sign once I "rediscovered" this particular area. I even had it jotted down in my notes as great spot, but did not hunt it at all during the rut...for whatever reason I was hunting other spots. I blew it by not planning better....and to top it all off, my hunting buddy saw two large bucks walking together last week, right into this very spot...I really hope I get a shot at one of them after walking oh, only about 20 hours worth of scouting in this particular area last off season.

That being said, one cannot second guess themselves too much, or hunting loses the fun.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

It's all by chance...50/50 either your going to see deer or not and another 50/50if those deer will bein bow range.
Yeah.....Buuuuut....I'd like to think I stack those odds a lot beter than that.

Make your own "luck"?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Dubbya....I kinda get what your saying, but I don't see how one can blame yourself if on day #4 of your hunt no deer decide to show up, when days 1-3 you seen deer? Nobody can control deer movement. So, according to your statement, well then I should have moved...ok, let's say I did move becauseI just "knew" that the deer would change there pattern on day#4 and I pick a spot where I have hunted in the past and have had success, but again, no deer...how is someone supposed to "blame" themselves for that?

I get you too, it's not about pressure at all. My answer to your above scenario is this: On days 1-3, you didn't connect, (let's assume there is a deer worth shooting on that property) that deer was somewhere in that 3 day span but you weren't in the right place. I'm not saying that I'm always in the right place or neither is anyone else or we'd all tag out on opening day. What I am saying is that it's up to you to find where that deer is at when he isn't where you were on days 1-3...
Then, as you try to find out where that deer is, you jump him out of his core area and it's your fault for looking for him too hard. It's an endless cycle. I try not to find blame for me not connecting on the deer I'm after. Sometimes it just doesn't happen....for me at least.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

First let me add this...I am not getting "pissy" as someone mentioned, I could care less if you guys want to be miserable and blame yourselves after every sit...I must not be the norm, because I will never blame myself for something out of my control....

Ok,here is what I do currently...I have 3 stand locations and a climber if needed...and based on time of year, if the crops are still up or cut, wind direction..that is how I pick my stand. And all of these are in a area where I have seen really big deer,or know sooner or later I will see a big deer when they start roaming for Doe's. Have I ever connected on a big one? No..I shot my personal best this past Nov. a 132" 10 pointer...which is'nt that great compared to what I've seen in the same area before. But I've missed a few and even wounded one last year...I WAS blameing myself for those

But Ithink walking around looking for a new stand location, scenting up the place, making a bunch of noise in the middle of season is more risk than reward. Granted, this may be due to the type of area I hunt which is basically a huge bedding area, so it's very easy to bust deer.All of my stands are within 60 yards of field edges for this reason, and even then I still bust deer everyonce in awhile.

I guess I am not as "nit picky" as some about having to be in that "perfect" spot every single time. I see my fare share of deer and big deer at that, and I am happy with that. I know I will get another chance because I live in Illinois and there is a P&Y behind every tree here
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

If it isn't "your" fault.....whose faultis it?

Isn't it THAT simple? If you don't succeed......who's fault is it?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm guessing you didn't vote for Obama, right?
Is it that obvious?
We could always give you one of buckeye's mounts and you can pretend it's yours. Heck, you won't even have to go hunting then! You can just sit on the porch all day and wait for buckeye's mounts to show up on your doorstep!!

[8D]

Quick Reply: Nobody to blame but yourself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.