Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nobody to blame but yourself... >

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nobody to blame but yourself...

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Nice to meet you Derek! Even when I paid closest attention I've hit the invisible twigs...its tough....good job on your success!!
LOL! It did kind of sound like we were at an AA meeting or something though.
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

The "just" of this idea was that if you don't kill a deer that you're after (regardless of the size of the deer) it's your own fault. I've thought about this for the entire year, especially since I was feeling the heat, and he's entirely correct. I'm not excluding myself from this by any stretch. So far this year, I haven't killed "the deer" I was after, nobody to blame but myself. I didn't put myself in the right situation, and the one time that I did, I didn't judge the deer as a "shooter" quickly enough... my fault. It's so easy to make excuses for everything that happened, but when it comes right down to it... it's still "your" fault.

Then there are those that are less obvious:
[ul][*]I didn't see a shooter- Yes, that's "your" fault for not putting yourself in a position to make it happen[/ul]
[ul][*]The shooter wouldn't come into bow range- It's "your" fault for not putting YOURSELF in bow range[/ul]
[ul][*][/ul]
As you look at all the excuses listed above, they have one thing in common... A noun referencing ones self (I, my, me) whatever. Regardless of why it doesn't happen, bottom line is that it DIDN'T happen and you are the only person responsible for that. It seems any hunter that doesn't kill the deer they're after pulls out the excuse rolodex and picks one. Failing to kill the deer your after is personal failure, no other excuse.

Thoughts?
I think if anyone actually goes through scouting, hanging stands based on wind conditions, hanging stands in places where big deer have been seen or harvested from in years past, does there best at scent elimination etc etc etc you would'nt possibly agree with this statement.

So basically the entire bowhunting WORLD is blaming themselves? Because there is not a soul in the world that can be at the right place at the right time at the right distance at the right shot angle every single time on stand.

I may have secondguessed a thing or two, but I have never or will I ever blame myself for anything outside of MY control. Like deer movement, weather, idiot hunters who walk through the woods like they are hunting rabbitts, the farmer who decides today is a good day to harvesthis field etc etc.

I agree you can "blame" yourself for little things like trimming shooting lanes...peep sight rotation...stand location...not knowing the differencebetween 10 yards and 40 yards...but those are all things within each hunters control, we don't control mother nature, and the first person who figures out how to will be a bazillionaire in .2 seconds.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned

Well, you are exactly right, but there are guys on here that are going to whine and cry and say you are a big meanie for hurtin their feelings and pointin out the truth..lol
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Well, you are exactly right, but there are guys on here that are going to whine and cry and say you are a big meanie for hurtin their feelings and pointin out the truth..lol

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right I blame myself because the wind was blowing 30mph and slamming rain into places I didn't know I had...and oh, just imagine this, I didn't see a single deer. Tellme whatYOU would have done different...to make it happen??
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

The "just" of this idea was that if you don't kill a deer that you're after (regardless of the size of the deer) it's your own fault. I've thought about this for the entire year, especially since I was feeling the heat, and he's entirely correct. I'm not excluding myself from this by any stretch. So far this year, I haven't killed "the deer" I was after, nobody to blame but myself. I didn't put myself in the right situation, and the one time that I did, I didn't judge the deer as a "shooter" quickly enough... my fault. It's so easy to make excuses for everything that happened, but when it comes right down to it... it's still "your" fault.

Then there are those that are less obvious: [ul][*]I didn't see a shooter- Yes, that's "your" fault for not putting yourself in a position to make it happen[/ul] [ul][*]The shooter wouldn't come into bow range- It's "your" fault for not putting YOURSELF in bow range[/ul] [ul][*][/ul]
As you look at all the excuses listed above, they have one thing in common... A noun referencing ones self (I, my, me) whatever. Regardless of why it doesn't happen, bottom line is that it DIDN'T happen and you are the only person responsible for that. It seems any hunter that doesn't kill the deer they're after pulls out the excuse rolodex and picks one. Failing to kill the deer your after is personal failure, no other excuse.

Thoughts?
I think if anyone actually goes through scouting, hanging stands based on wind conditions, hanging stands in places where big deer have been seen or harvested from in years past, does there best at scent elimination etc etc etc you would'nt possibly agree with this statement.

So basically the entire bowhunting WORLD is blaming themselves? Because there is not a soul in the world that can be at the right place at the right time at the right distance at the right shot angle every single time on stand.

I understand your thoughts. I do go through scouting, hanging stands based on wind conditions, hanging stands in places where big deer have been seen or harvested from in years past, doing my best with scent control. It's not about doing everything perfectly every single time, as we all know successful bowhunters pay attention to the little things. It only takes everything coming together once for it to happen the way you want it to, if "we" don't make that happen at least once during a season, it's a personal failure. Nothing is always going to go as planned, how we deal with those adversaties determines whether we punch our tag or whether we realize that "we" just didn't get it done.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect... my friend, perfect.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right I blame myself because the wind was blowing 30mph and slamming rain into places I didn't know I had...and oh, just imagine this, I didn't see a single deer. Tellme whatYOU would have done different...to make it happen??
I'd call myself and idiot for sitting there... and realize that it was MY fault for even going out. That's one of those days where you use your brain and choose to not attempt to try and make it happen.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

"My wife don't like deer mounts, anyways."

I like that one! I'm saving that one for myself, one day.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then there are those that are less obvious:
[ul][*]I didn't see a shooter- Yes, that's "your" fault for not putting yourself in a position to make it happen[/ul]
[ul][*]The shooter wouldn't come into bow range- It's "your" fault for not putting YOURSELF in bow range[/ul]
[ul][*][/ul]

Thoughts?

I understand your thoughts. I do go through scouting, hanging stands based on wind conditions, hanging stands in places where big deer have been seen or harvested from in years past, doing my best with scent control. It's not about doing everything perfectly every single time, as we all know successful bowhunters pay attention to the little things. It only takes everything coming together once for it to happen the way you want it to, if "we" don't make that happen at least once during a season, it's a personal failure. Nothing is always going to go as planned, how we deal with those adversaties determines whether we punch our tag or whether we realize that "we" just didn't get it done.
Dubbya....I kinda get what your saying, but I don't see how one can blame yourself if on day #4 of your hunt no deer decide to show up, when days 1-3 you seen deer? Nobody can control deer movement. So, according to your statement, well then I should have moved...ok, let's say I did move becauseI just "knew" that the deer would change there pattern on day#4 and I pick a spot where I have hunted in the past and have had success, but again, no deer...how is someone supposed to "blame" themselves for that?

It's all by chance...50/50 either your going to see deer or not and another 50/50if those deer will bein bow range.

You guys are putting to much pressure on yourselves.

Quick Reply: Nobody to blame but yourself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.