Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nobody to blame but yourself... >

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nobody to blame but yourself...

Over a year ago, one of our most involved members and a personal friend made a statement about personal failure. The "just" of this idea was that if you don't kill a deer that you're after (regardless of the size of the deer) it's your own fault. I've thought about this for the entire year, especially since I was feeling the heat, and he's entirely correct. I'm not excluding myself from this by any stretch. So far this year, I haven't killed "the deer" I was after, nobody to blame but myself. I didn't put myself in the right situation, and the one time that I did, I didn't judge the deer as a "shooter" quickly enough... my fault. It's so easy to make excuses for everything that happened, but when it comes right down to it... it's still "your" fault.

There are the obvious excuses:

[ul][*]The deer jumped my string- "your" fault for either alerting the deer, not shooting low, or for flat out missing[/ul][ul][*]I got winded- "your" fault for sitting in a position for that to happen[/ul][ul][*]The deer saw me- "your" fault for being improperly disguised, or for moving at the wrong time.[/ul][ul][*]I was late- duh... "your" fault[/ul]
Then there are those that are less obvious:

[ul][*]I didn't see a shooter- Yes, that's "your" fault for not putting yourself in a position to make it happen[/ul][ul][*]The shooter wouldn't come into bow range- It's "your" fault for not putting YOURSELF in bow range[/ul][ul][*]My property doesn't have big deer- It's "your" fault for not doing something about it, finding other places, managing your herd...[/ul][ul][*]My buddy spooked the deer- "your" fault for not having a plan or coordinating/communicating with that person[/ul][ul][*]My peep didn't rotate- "your" fault for not checking prior to the deer showing up[/ul][ul][*]I hit a twig- "your" fault for not clearing your lane, or picking the gap[/ul]As you look at all the excuses listed above, they have one thing in common... A noun referencing ones self (I, my, me) whatever. Regardless of why it doesn't happen, bottom line is that it DIDN'T happen and you are the only person responsible for that. It seems any hunter that doesn't kill the deer they're after pulls out the excuse rolodex and picks one. Failing to kill the deer your after is personal failure, no other excuse.

Thoughts?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nobody to blame but yourself...

I got it.. I got it..

If I don't kill a deer next year.. it's Dubbya's fault.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I got it.. I got it..

If I don't kill a deer next year.. it's Dubbya's fault.
You're an extremely fast learner buddy, I like that about you.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm guessing you didn't vote for Obama, right?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dubbya,

I totally agree....I use to make excuses as I was growing up...I felt like I had to have a reason to tell people why I missed...

Everyone - Pay close attention to the details of my message...

You know what...I'm a great hunter. I am...I've taken a handful of deer with osage and flint...many with longbow and recurve..73 with a compound.....I've take 6 deer between 40-60 yards with my Hoytwith percision use of a range finder...I shoot well with a bow..and I understand the small detail that makes one kill consistantly...

HOWEVER..In my mind...my belief...I will talk about all my highlights over a camp fire....and I'll talk about all my mistakes & misses over a camp fire......I never hype up over another buddy..and get jealous...I praise and hand shake them.......I always hold firm and stay honest with all my actions...So with that being said...I feel I'm a great hunter.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you just got a CCW license does that mean you didn'tvote for Obama?

Just curious[]
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm guessing you didn't vote for Obama, right?
Is it that obvious?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi everyone! My name is Derek and Im addicted to archery

On a serious note, i like this post alot. Its true. Unless something like a coyote or something odd scared a deer away, its really "my" fault. This year, i shot my buck kind of far back b/c I hit a twig. I should have payed more attention and i would have had a quicker recovery on that deer. I found him yes, but it would have been a better kill/death if i wouldnt have hit a limb which made my arrow deflect.
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

With only the caveat that you simply can't kill a deer that doesn't exist - I agree 100%. If I eat my tag, I need to look no further than my bedroom mirror for the cause of my failure.

If you're not seeing bucks, you're hunting the wrong area. If your deer are out of range, you picked the wrong tree. It's just that simple.

Bow season is where the rubber meets the road. You either get it done, or you don't. No halfway. No excuses.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice to meet you Derek! Even when I paid closest attention I've hit the invisible twigs...its tough....good job on your success!!

Quick Reply: Nobody to blame but yourself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.