HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Green lights - are they that good? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/278000-green-lights-they-good.html)

LittleChief 12-11-2008 02:07 PM

Green lights - are they that good?

I recently picked up a light with 5 green LEDs that clips on the bill of a ballcap.I've been using it for the past few hunts. Since switching to a green light, I've walked up on racoons and two opossums that never ran. I even pokedone of the'possums with my bow and he still didn't run.

Two weekends ago on my last hunt, I was walking in an hour before first light and I walked into what seemed (in the dark) like a herd of deer. Since I was looking where I was putting my feet, I didn't see their eyes until I was right on top of them. I'm guessing I was 10 feet away when I looked up and saw about six sets of eyes. I got that close. They had no idea what I was,but when I took another step,they still bolted. The funny thing was they seemed confused. They were actually running around me for about 10 seconds. I don't know who was more rattled - me or them. Now, I'm no guru, but I believe that isn't normal behavior. Any ideas on what happened there?

wallhangr 12-11-2008 02:14 PM

RE: Green lights - are they that good?

Sounds like "deer in the headlights"behavior. I've been using red for years but it is fading fast. Sounds like green will be my next purchase.

Now the possum, I walked up on one at noon the other day and he didn't spook. Stayed within 5 yds for quite awhile and evenwhen I hit the rattle bag he just stared.

crenshaw 12-11-2008 02:15 PM

Yeah they work great. I have had similar experiences. A couple weeks ago i went to move a stand in the dark. Had the light flashing right in the deers eyes and never ran until i got really close. The other morning i turned mine on few a few seconds to get there an area with a lot of down limbs quietly. I knew there were deer in front of me, considering i had pushed them a minute earlier. They never saw the light and i was able to get in the stand with no harm done. They all hung around.

Muliefever 12-11-2008 04:00 PM

I really like green lights. When i was stationed on one of the big Coast Guard Boats up in Alaska We actually had two scientist get underway with us for a whole patrol and the tested the effects of greenvs. red lights. Typically red lights are on ships for "lights out" hours so you can see. What they found was everyone was in a much better mood with the green lights! And that your eyes adapted much faster to total darkness if you did turn the green light off. That's all I use.

NYak 12-11-2008 04:07 PM

Sounds like you answered your own question. I think i will start walking in with my green LED instead of my white one.

bigcountry 12-11-2008 04:12 PM

Deer can see some green. They can't see well with reds. If you look at the color sprectrum, deer see well at the ultra violet side and green is right near violet. I would imagine green would be a bad color to use. Some greens that is.

SwampCollie 12-11-2008 04:31 PM

I have a streamlight that has super bright green, super bright white.. and a crappy regular light setting. I got it simply because green works better for spring turkey's.... so the experts say. 33 birds later.... I'm convinced they are right. I use the white for walking out... and for duck hunting. Same light gets used deer hunting. Works just fine.