Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps?? >

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Better look somewhere else, trev......out of stock. I was trying to check sizes and saw that.
No no no...lol I was just saying I was using their lengths...heck why pay extra for a dang bolt just because it is a name brand with a velcro pouch? Ill get the same size bolts at Ace Hardware, with an equivalent auger bit for much, much less.

I just provided the link to show that 6" pegs 2.5" into the tree isn't a guesstimate, its what an actual tree step company uses.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Better look somewhere else, trev......out of stock. I was trying to check sizes and saw that.
No no no...lol I was just saying I was using their lengths...heck why pay extra for a dang bolt just because it is a name brand with a velcro pouch? Ill get the same size bolts at Ace Hardware, with an equivalent auger bit for much, much less.

I just provided the link to show that 6" pegs 2.5" into the tree isn't a guesstimate, its what an actual tree step company uses.
I thought the same thing, I went to Home Depot and the local True Value and asked for the hardest steel bolts they carried. And the quality is not the same. I bent each of them. Also the auger bit is a 10mm while the bolts are 3/8. I tried to find a 10mm auger bit and couldnt find one. I was able to find a 7/16 but it is too big. The one they sell is the perfect match. Believe me, I looked all over for a cheaper combo. I figured, $19.99 for 10 bolts was cheap when compared to buying 10 similar tree steps. One guy I was chatting with gets the same grade bolt at Fastenal, so that is an option for you.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Flipout

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I thought the same thing, I went to Home Depot and the local True Value and asked for the hardest steel bolts they carried. And the quality is not the same. I bent each of them. Also the auger bit is a 10mm while the bolts are 3/8. I tried to find a 10mm auger bit and couldnt find one. I was able to find a 7/16 but it is too big. The one they sell is the perfect match. Believe me, I looked all over for a cheaper combo. I figured, $19.99 for 10 bolts was cheap when compared to buying 10 similar tree steps. One guy I was chatting with gets the same grade bolt at Fastenal, so that is an option for you.
Ill keep that all in mind. I Know Ace Had Grade 2 5 and 8 in any diameter/length you could ask for...I guess the only issue would be finding a perfect fit auger bit. I'm sure they make one that is the right fit, just have to find one.

I plan on grabbing a few grade 5 and 8s to do some testing here in the next week or two to see which would be better suited for my purposes.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Lotta work when you can find the Ameristep Grizzleys for something over a dollar after season is over and make a wrench that puts these things in like it's nobodys buisness. Only downside is clearance around limbs, then you just turn them by hand (after a lead hole)
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt aroundfor the bulk purchase of Ameristep Grizzlys (the bigger step). I bought 50 steps for $100 a couple years ago. Even if they are $2.50 / step now, I'd go that route. For as much as I hate setting up screw in steps, they are nice. Big and strong. I now use stick ladders for almost everything, but still have some stands with screw ins. If I was gonna use a bolt...I'd get 8" personally. I'd rather have more in the tree and more to step on. my .02

Oh...and you guys have $1000's of dollars in your bows and change em like diapers and are worried about $0.80 more per step?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

When I hunt private land I use a bolt setup made by 'EZ Kut'...got it at an expo for a great price. These are great for times you KNOW your tree, such as the early season. However, as the season matures and hunting gets hard I tend to switch trees every now and then so I switch over to tree steps b/c you can set them up, and move them around much easier than redrilling a tree every 2 weeks or so.

But with these bolts...let's not talk about when the snow/rain comes to town.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Hunt aroundfor the bulk purchase of Ameristep Grizzlys (the bigger step). I bought 50 steps for $100 a couple years ago. Even if they are $2.50 / step now, I'd go that route. For as much as I hate setting up screw in steps, they are nice. Big and strong. I now use stick ladders for almost everything, but still have some stands with screw ins. If I was gonna use a bolt...I'd get 8" personally. I'd rather have more in the tree and more to step on. my .02

Oh...and you guys have $1000's of dollars in your bows and change em like diapers and are worried about $0.80 more per step?
Just to clarify....(at least for myself). I wasnt doing this so much for cost as I was for quietness and efficiency. I hate leaving steps in the trees as it tips people off to my stand sites and around here somepeople for some stupid reasonour fellow bow hunters tend to mess with peoples set ups.

I find it quick and easy to get up the tree once the holes are in place. The hand drill I had to buy was like $50, so it wasnt cheap. I just like messing with new concepts and think this has its place. Along with others. My buddies always give me flack over buying all the latest "stuff" out there. They only seem tobuy it after I test it out and waste my $$