Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps?? >

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

I've always read do NOT get Grade 8. Grade 8 is slightly stronger than Grade 5, but it is more brittle...meaning, it breaks instead of bends...Both are enough for the weight of a human, but if for some reason they are compromised, Grade 8 will snap off while Grade 5 is more likely to bend some before breaking.

DT, the reason they hurt your feet is because you only left 3" to climb on, no duh that would kill your feet. If you use a 7 or 8" grade 5 hex head bolt (not lag screws) and drill out the tree 3-3.5", you will be just fine, and they are just as comfortable as tree steps. I'd feel safer with hex head bolts because they are 3" into the tree, I know my screw in steps don't get anywhere close to that. Get a 3/8" treehopper or auger bit, and use a cordless drill to drill out holes. You can be 20 ft up in less than 10 minutes easy, and no PITA screwing in steps nonsense...drill out a 3/8 by 3-3.5" hole, slide in the bolt, and climb. You can remove them with you on the way down to keep your stands from being stolen, or just leave em in all year.

While treesteps are meant for this, I'd rather stand on a 3/8 bolt 3 inches into the tree than a screw tipped treestep MAYBE an inch into the tree, if that. I hate treesteps, and am going to try to switch all over to the bolts this year if it works out smoothly...Unless you fork up for the expensive ones, one or two trees into a step and it is toast, dull as a butter knife. Bolts are cheaper as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

5/8"x8" lag is about $1.19
Is this steel, galvanized or Grade 8 price? I'm just curious.

Trevor...

A quality tree step has a point of contact (acting as a pseudo deadman) below the portion that's in the tree.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw in steps win hands down. Try to find a grade 8 lag screw! I used to own a hardware store. We never sold grade 8 lag screws. When and if you do, I bet they are more expensive than a screw in step.

Better yet go to climbing sticks. They are easy to move and don't damage the tree. $25 will get you 16 foot of sticks right now here in Illinois because the gun seasons are over.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay away from galvanized bolts or lags. The galvanizing process weakens bolts. Don't ask me how or why, I don't know. But it does.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm cheap, I'll admit it. But using bolts instead of steps seems to be a dangerous way to save some change.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've used them for years. I'm 205 and my Dad is 220+ and we've never had one break (knock on wood). We use a 18volt Dewalt and pre-drill at an downward agle. Beats the heck out of screwing in steps. I personally would rather use the 22' ladder stands I bought this year, I love these. I bought 3 of them for $100/piece out of sportsman guide.

Quick Reply: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.