Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Putting your friend on a deer.. >

Putting your friend on a deer..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Putting your friend on a deer..

Old 12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Putting your friend on a deer..

I am kind of proud to say that I find it as equally rewarding as taking the animal myself. It took me a while to get there!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have set many people on deer. I always put my dad on my best stands when he is able to hunt with me. Last year my dad's best friend started gun hunting with us. I filled my tags in archery season so I put him in my treestand. He shot a 140" 8 point out of it. My dad seen it coming and could have taken a long shot but left it go because it was heading in the direction of his friend.

By the way, I was just a little jealous since the buck was alot bigger than what I have ever taken out of that stand. I was happy for him.

What made more enjoyable is the fact that he thanked us about a hundred times. He told everyone we knew that he had us to thank for it. It felt good to be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Well I don't hunt with any of my friends, usually just my family and I'm proud to say I called in my kid brother's first tom and helped push his first buck to him (button buck but I'm still counting it haha) this year. He got a doe a couple years ago but since then he hasn't had any luck and my father, other brother and I were worried that he was going to start getting frustrated and stop going. So this year my father, other brother and I all got of to fast starts and my kid brother was hardly seeing deer. So thanksgiving afternoon we put him on this great bottleneck and put on a little drive for him. Sure enough we got about half way through the drive and i heard the most beautiful sounding gunshot. Put the little skipper right into his lap, shot him at about 15 paces and bang-flopped him. He was we were all just as excited as he was (in fact my father was probably more excited).
Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

It's how my wife started. I had seen a huge buck, but towards the end of my vacation had to 'settle' for an average 8 pt. I came home and said, 'the only thing better than getting that bruiser myself would be turning someone onto him. Do you want to try it?' She didn't hunt much that year and didn't get the bruiser, but got her first deer last year and is now my hunting partner.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 PM

I got the opportunity this year to take my bro-in law on his first hunt on Thanksgiving day. He had shotthe rifle some and told me he was feeling pretty confident, cool deal I thought. So we go hole up in a draw and wait for some deer coming off of of a wheatfield to bed up for the day. Been sitting for no longer than thirty minuets and see some does way off about 800 yrds. I can see he is already shaking and tell him to breathe and dont over think it. Well we watch as they mill around for a while and all of a sudden I see a nice 8 chasing a doe down a fenceline about 150 yrds away from us. I tell him to get the gun up and that there is a buck coming in fast. He panics gets fumbly and finally gets the gun up on the shooting sticks. The buck chases the doe about 75 yrds right in front of us and she stops, he started rubbing a tree and was facing away from us, by now my bro in law is in bad shape he is shaking like a leaf and I know he hasnt taken a breath since I had said buck. Finally the buck turns and I stop him, I say "shoot him when you feel like it" and he fires off a round. I see a dust cloud right above the deers back and the buck runs right to us and stops about 25 yrds off. He looked like a monkey humping a football trying to get the gun pointed in the right direction, the buck spots us and runs off down the draw........no luck. The best part of this Is igot it all on video so over thanksgiving dinner the whole family gets to see it.

Now the pm hunt...... we set up about 75 yrds off of a wheat field, deer are filing in quick. He is getting shaky again I can tell, expecially when a pretty nice 6 comes out. He wants to shoot him now but I ranged him and he was about 200 out, I tell him lets wait and he might come closer. Ends up the buck doggs a doe out right in front of us, with bow range not 40 yrds out. Again the monkey humping football scenario trying to get the gun up, no luck the doe peggs us and trots the other way, he cusses under his breath for a few minuets. They are back to about 200 out so we wait. The buck doggs the doe off of the field and back into the brush. Make a long story short at last light I range a doe exactly 186 yrds off I know the rifle is sighted in for 100 yrds so I tell him just hold on her upper 2/3 shoulder. He takes his time and fires one off. I watched her tuck tail and go back to the brush. Knowing it was a good hit I tell him that I am not sure and we had better wait for a little bit. He wont wait he runs to the spot where he shot and no deer he was bummed. I had seen where she ran in the brush and I kinda moseyed over there while he was looking for some sign. I called him over when I spotted white belly and he freaks out, he is rolling around on the ground hooping and hollering I was craking up. He gets his hands on her and cant even talk. Now keep in mind this guy has never been hunting, he was raised up in the city and besides a few fishing trips we went on this summer has had very little outdoors experience. It was a blast to see his expressio when he was standing behind his trophy, I was as happy for him as I have ever been for myself. In all of the comotion nethier of us realized that he was a little close to the scope, you can see in the pic right between his eyes. A great day for the both of us, he is itching to come up and video a bowhunt for me over christmas break.

The best part is he makes a perfect shot at 186 yrds puts the doe down in40 yrdsand misses the buck at 75, I wont ever let him live that down.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 PM

I like putting people on big ole toms, but the bucks I'm a bit greedy...heck of a lot harder to kill a mature buck that a old turkey any day of the week.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:53 AM

ORIGINAL: ZachCL

I got the opportunity this year to take my bro-in law on his first hunt on Thanksgiving day. He had shotthe rifle some and told me he was feeling pretty confident, cool deal I thought. So we go hole up in a draw and wait for some deer coming off of of a wheatfield to bed up for the day. Been sitting for no longer than thirty minuets and see some does way off about 800 yrds. I can see he is already shaking and tell him to breathe and dont over think it. Well we watch as they mill around for a while and all of a sudden I see a nice 8 chasing a doe down a fenceline about 150 yrds away from us. I tell him to get the gun up and that there is a buck coming in fast. He panics gets fumbly and finally gets the gun up on the shooting sticks. The buck chases the doe about 75 yrds right in front of us and she stops, he started rubbing a tree and was facing away from us, by now my bro in law is in bad shape he is shaking like a leaf and I know he hasnt taken a breath since I had said buck. Finally the buck turns and I stop him, I say "shoot him when you feel like it" and he fires off a round. I see a dust cloud right above the deers back and the buck runs right to us and stops about 25 yrds off. He looked like a monkey humping a football trying to get the gun pointed in the right direction, the buck spots us and runs off down the draw........no luck. The best part of this Is igot it all on video so over thanksgiving dinner the whole family gets to see it.

Now the pm hunt...... we set up about 75 yrds off of a wheat field, deer are filing in quick. He is getting shaky again I can tell, expecially when a pretty nice 6 comes out. He wants to shoot him now but I ranged him and he was about 200 out, I tell him lets wait and he might come closer. Ends up the buck doggs a doe out right in front of us, with bow range not 40 yrds out. Again the monkey humping football scenario trying to get the gun up, no luck the doe peggs us and trots the other way, he cusses under his breath for a few minuets. They are back to about 200 out so we wait. The buck doggs the doe off of the field and back into the brush. Make a long story short at last light I range a doe exactly 186 yrds off I know the rifle is sighted in for 100 yrds so I tell him just hold on her upper 2/3 shoulder. He takes his time and fires one off. I watched her tuck tail and go back to the brush. Knowing it was a good hit I tell him that I am not sure and we had better wait for a little bit. He wont wait he runs to the spot where he shot and no deer he was bummed. I had seen where she ran in the brush and I kinda moseyed over there while he was looking for some sign. I called him over when I spotted white belly and he freaks out, he is rolling around on the ground hooping and hollering I was craking up. He gets his hands on her and cant even talk. Now keep in mind this guy has never been hunting, he was raised up in the city and besides a few fishing trips we went on this summer has had very little outdoors experience. It was a blast to see his expressio when he was standing behind his trophy, I was as happy for him as I have ever been for myself. In all of the comotion nethier of us realized that he was a little close to the scope, you can see in the pic right between his eyes. A great day for the both of us, he is itching to come up and video a bowhunt for me over christmas break.

The best part is he makes a perfect shot at 186 yrds puts the doe down in40 yrdsand misses the buck at 75, I wont ever let him live that down.

Thats a great story. Good stuff.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love that feeling. i have done it lots of times. with turkey also.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

I had Matt/TN here over Thanksgiving to hunt with me for 3 days, the first too we were hard at it, bow in hand seeing nothing, I wanted so bad to put him on a deer, and you really do feel the pressure, even though youve explained to them, "We may not see a single deer", and "I cant garantee you anything" and you know thats not a concern for them either.....

BUT that is after all what they are there for, and when its not working out, I started to feel the pressure, the last morning, Matt decided to take my rifle out, and took what ended up being a spike.What a relief.... but it was a Blast! Hopefully will be doing it again. I'd post a pic, but I got a new comp. and havent transfered any files yet.
I truly had a blast these couple of days we hunted. Killing a deer made it that much better. I still would have left pleased had I not killed anything though, it's not always about making a kill, but more about making friends.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

i do it all the time for my two boys i passed a monster 8 pt last week of bow only season last year ,
felt guilty,knowing next weekend was shotgun i have a bigger one on the wall,my boy didn't get
him but he did get a real nice 10 pt

Quick Reply: Putting your friend on a deer..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.