Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Before/After photos of my last doe >

Before/After photos of my last doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Before/After photos of my last doe

Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Before/After photos of my last doe

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

why don't u trim all of the fat and membrane off before you freeze the meat? It tastes better without that junk flavoring the meat.
Honest (possibly dumb) question...but can it effect the meat when the meat is frozen solid? I can see in a fridge it changing it, but frozen solid?

I don't do much with my deer meat, so it isn't of much concern for me currently. I eat the backstraps and tenderloins, and slice the rest into jerky meat or grind the rest up. Whatever 1 quarter goes towards, the whole deer goes toward...saves time and makes the processing easier this way.

Looks delicious Jeff.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

When you cook as much as I do.....you realize that white stuff you leave here and there is NOT a bad thing when it comes to adding flavor to your meat. Best piece I ever cooked (indirect) was a 15# whole beef prime rib.

The marbling in the meat made it (IMO). I don't leave a "lot" of fat on mine.....but "some".....I prefer (for cooking.....I just discard it when I'm eating it).
Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

When you cook as much as I do.....you realize that white stuff you leave here and there is NOT a bad thing when it comes to adding flavor to your meat. Best piece I ever cooked (indirect) was a 15# whole beef prime rib.

The marbling in the meat made it (IMO). I don't leave a "lot" of fat on mine.....but "some".....I prefer (for cooking.....I just discard it when I'm eating it).
I see what you are saying and agree if you are plating it. I like to eat most deer meat cutsbetween bread though. So if I don't pre-trim it, it is a p.i.t.a. to eat.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's how I generally do my cooking.....

Old 12-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are correct!! For you guys who don't like the fat, cut It off after It's cooked. Venison Is a lean meat anyway so the more fat you leave on It while cooking the juicier It will be.

Eating healthy wise- cut the fat off before you cook It.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

When i first read this i thought, how in the heck does he know its the same Doe from a game cam pic that he shot [&:]Man that looks good
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Schultzy.....

Those boston butts in the photo......have a (sometimes) thick layer of fat on one side. I cook mine at about 220deg. for 8-10hrs......fat side up. I roll them...fat side down....for the last 1-1/2 to 2hrs. The fat on top allows the juices from it to permeate the meat while it's cooking.

When I reach in and take out the bone......it just falls apart (the meat).

Just had a good idea for next Saturday night/Sunday
Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy.....

Those boston butts in the photo......have a (sometimes) thick layer of fat on one side. I cook mine at about 220deg. for 8-10hrs......fat side up. I roll them...fat side down....for the last 1-1/2 to 2hrs. The fat on top allows the juices from it to permeate the meat while it's cooking.

When I reach in and take out the bone......it just falls apart (the meat).

Just had a good idea for next Saturday night/Sunday
Spot on Jeff!!!! There's nothing better then a good cook!!! Sounds like your one hell of a cook.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

That looks SOOO good. & I too just got done eating backstraps. Little italian seasoning with some melted mozzerella cheese on em.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds great, Rybo.

These were actually some ribs. Admittedly.....this was my first crack at venison ribs.....as I don't usually keep this meat. They won't be my last, though

Quick Reply: Before/After photos of my last doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.