Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

History or not

Old 12-09-2008, 07:16 PM

Default History or not

Ok being new back to the forum I am not sure if this subject has been covered or not, anyways I am just curious.

Would you rather have history on a buck, even just a few pictures or sightings all the way to following them for years. Or would you rather be plumb surprised with a deer you have never seen walking into range.

Now I know that trail cams are a major tool in this subject and also can greatly increase your hunting success as far as patterning specific deer, but is it a pretty big perk to be able to bag a deer you have a good history with.

I am just a broke ole college kid so my wife wont let me spend any $$$ on trailcams, but eventually I will get my hands on some.

The closest I have been since I have been in this area of taking a deer that I had a little history with was an 8 pt that I saw 3 days before season opener, got my heart pumping and I hunted him hard, with the resources I have. Ends up I find his carcass close to the fence between the neighboring property on my side a week into gun season around here. He was a nice buck would have definately been a shooter for me. I was pumped to get to see his rack up close but was kind of dissappointed that noone got to enjoy his as thier own trophy. I have tried contacting the neighbors to see if maybe one of them might have shot him but they are leasors I guess and dont live around here. Haha I told my wife the day I saw him that before season was over I would get to wrap my hands around his antlers and by golly I did. anywas this kindof got off subject but still I am curious if it is a major perk to trail cameras to have history with a deer that you harvest.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: History or not

I'll admit.. I'd like to have a little history with some whitetail.

But... I don't use trail-cams.. and I hunt many spots for only 2 or 3 days. Then I am gone.. so it's kinda hard to get history.

I like to use their clues that they've left for me though.. and track them down in the off season. It is kinda fun hunting nothing more than rubs.. and tracks. I use the picture in my head.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM

I am new to all of my hunting areas this year so I am pretty much going off of limited pre season scouting and like you rubs, scrapes tracks and a few sightings throughout the season.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 PM

I don't know about history, but my trail cam sure gives me alot more motivation to go out and hunt....and sit longer. When I get ready to leave I just think "What if that beautiful looking 8 pt comes by in the next five minutes". And then I sit longer
Old 12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think when you have history with a deer/any animal you've been chasing and then you finally put It down It Is something to be damn proud of. It's kinda neat to though when you arrow something that you had no Idea was even In your woods (happened to me last year).
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a 3 season relationship with my '07 buck ....including several game cam photos spanning two seasons.

I had a few sightings and game cam photos of my '06 buck.

I actually have a game cam shot of both of them standing together
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

I don't know about history, but my trail cam sure gives me alot more motivation to go out and hunt....and sit longer. When I get ready to leave I just think "What if that beautiful looking 8 pt comes by in the next five minutes". And then I sit longer
But it can't work the opposite on mind games. If your cams aren't getting crap for pics, it makes you NOT want to stay on stand longer.[:-]
Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to have some history with a buck, but I sure wont be turning down a surprise either! Im in the position to take whatever I can get most of the time.[8D]

Also, like OK said, its a whole lot easier to set on stand that little bit longer when you know that a big boy is in the area!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Give me surprise any day. My favorite hunts are to go into an unknown woods, find some sign, climb a tree and shoot a deer. I've done it a lot. I'd rather hunt a new piece of woods everytime out. It just is more fun to me. I don't have trailcams or any of that. I never will. I just like to start at a vehicle and finish where I end up. I rarely hunt the same spot twice. NOPE, please, I don't want history.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got several pics of the deer I arrowed this year on 10/24, saw what I had, and then sat in a blind near there on 11/1 and shot him. I have never done anything like that before and thought it was pretty cool. Every other buck I have tried to have history with has not wanted anything to do with me.

Quick Reply: History or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.