Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Keeping your hands warm on stand >

Keeping your hands warm on stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping your hands warm on stand

Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned

Default RE: Keeping your hands warm on stand

ORIGINAL: schester14

The pouch that goes around your waist works great for me. And if you throw a few handwarmers in there it becomes an oven. Yea, its a little tricky with a release but try just holding the release like you would if you were shooting and your hand should be able to slide right in.
Me too..the only way to go...light cotton gloves so I can shoot. I have no problem getting my release had in and out. What ever is causing the issue on the hand muff release side...fix it where the elastic is too tight(get rid of it) hand muffs are the way.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schester14

The pouch that goes around your waist works great for me. And if you throw a few handwarmers in there it becomes an oven. Yea, its a little tricky with a release but try just holding the release like you would if you were shooting and your hand should be able to slide right in.
Exactly! You can't beat this combination.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Enter....the muff.
Can you say that on a family website.[&:]
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM

I have had alot of luck with the Glomitts. The ones that I have been using (have seen them as recently as october at gander mountain, but couldn't find them on their website) have a thumb that folds out of the way, a mitten type thing for over your fingers that folds out of the way, and it has a built in glove that covers your fingers.

The parts that fold back are held in place with magnents, and there is a zippered pouch that a handwarmer fits nicely into the fingers cover. I also place a handwarmer in my palm before putting the glove on. To top it all off I use an Underarmer liner glove as an additional layer. This set up was good last year late season for 5 hours on a balmy 5 degree day with 20mph winds.

For my feet, I got a pair of the coldweather muck boots, about 2 sizes to big, then I will throw a hand warmer in the toe, and on the cold days I will use a insole warmer (kinda looks like a schols gel insole, but has an adhesive that will allow you to attach the warmer to your insole) along with a polypropolene sock, a x-static sock and a heavy wool sock. The only draw back to this is my feet will sweat enough that about 4-5 hours into a sit, my feet will have soaked the socks and my feet will get cold then. This is fixable by carrying a couple extra socks, and doing a late mid-morning change of socks.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am trying to decide between mittens with handwarmers or my muff with handwarmers. I have both and I will make up my mind by 6:30 am tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM

I wear neoprene gloves that are loose fitting. I take my hand warmers and put them inside my fleece vest and they get toasty! I like to keep my bow in my hand, but when your hunting in 20 degree weather, I put that sucker on a bowhanger.

Another follow up question to this thread is...

How do you keep your feet warm?!! I've tried everything! No matter what they turn into popsicles!

Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

Enter....the muff. If your hand can fit, so can your release.

http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/Hunter-Safety-System-Muff-Pack__HSS-MUFF.aspx
Combine this with a couple of hand warmers and it's hard to get your hands cold.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM

For feet I wear 1500gr alpha burlies, wicking base sock with toasty toes stuck under the toe and a pair of wool socks over them. I was frozen off stand too many times to count last year because of cold feet but not once this year. Temp was 12 degrees for my morning sit Sunday. Only time I started to get cold feet was when I had forgotten my seat pad and sat on bare metal, your body will naturally shut down blood flow to your extremities to keep body temperature up.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM

I wear 800gr. Lacrosse Alpha's, wicking socks, then another pair of thin socks with toasty toes on the tip of the insert....still get cold....I usually put my everything on when I get to my parking location. I think my feet sweet to much before I go out and the moisture then freezes....I'll just wear it.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

I only do it during gun season when wind doesnt matter as much, but i get cans of sterno heat cans for for my permanent stand, $3 for two that last 3 hours a piece.

Quick Reply: Keeping your hands warm on stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.