Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting the same spots..... >

Hunting the same spots.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting the same spots.....

Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting the same spots.....

WHen you go to the same stand day after day at the same time and the same way in the deer know where you are going and when. They can pattern you just like you try to pattern them. So if you pay attention to the wind direction when you walk in and use a differant route and have multiple stands in the same area for differant wind directions you should see your success rate go up. This is my opinion it may work for you it may not but it works for me in my situation.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The way I see it.....it's harder for a deer to avoid 70 setups. It's easy for them to avoid 5.

I'd rather spook a deer in one spot.....then move.....than have that deer pattern me in one spot....and that be the only spot I hunt.
Awesome points.

You don't really think that him seeing you is even his FIRST line of knowing you were there.....do you?
No, but changing only 50 yards..all the other lines of knowing i was there remain the same besides sight. I guess what I am saying is, if a buck smells me, what does moving 50 yards down the ridge change? A human was still smelled on the ridge.

I know for sure I am looking at the small picture. But is a 50 yard difference the big picture?If a deer smells me, he has no clue what tree I am in, he just knows what area I am in.

Im not sure what Im trying to get at, so Ill leave it where it is. Obviously changing it up can not possibly hurt your chances....and I am pointing out nothing essentially, if a deer smells you, he knows your in the area....I hopefully will have some lighter sticks and a light hang on for more mobile sets next year. I just need to make some money first.[&:]
Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have really changed my sits up in a few areas this year. I have seen more deer as well. I have sat in 10 different trees so far. I have seen 8 deer. Every deer sighting was from a different tree. I have one tree that I use close to home, bordering a bedding area that I slip into from the same direction every time. (a small field) I have had multiple sightings of deer/bucks in this set for the last 3 seasons. I just don't over-sit it. I may sit it 2/3 times in a 8/10 day period, and then rest it for 4 days straight.

I really have come to enjoy changing trees with my climber (even only 50 to 75 yds at a sit) as it gives a different view of the area each time.

Now, I will say this. Years ago, I have had friends, and myself included, have sightings of up to 4 different bucks from the same tree on 4 consecutive days of hunting that tree. So, even though you move 50 yds from one day to the next, you may be hurting your chances of seeing a bigger/better buck than the one you are hunting. Just my experience. (although, since our buck population is down from those days, this may not happen as often now "here")

LT
Old 12-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

42 sits for me this year, with about 30 different sets.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM

I would have to think about that one for a while....

Probably 100-15 sits...maybe more....
Probably 25-30 different set-ups...

A lot!

I've seen nearly 100 deer or so...gotta be more.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

I think more along the lines of TEmbry. I'll hunt a stand as many times as I want if I don't think it has been compromised.

If a deer is going to avoid an area because of human smell, is it better to 5 human smells in an area or 70? I'd think that with the commotion of moving around an area and setting up 70 different times might have the deer avoid the whole area altogether, rather than skirt a stand by a few yards.

I hunt some of the same stand locations a lot. If one of my stands has been comprimised I'll know it. Deer skirting around the stand or no sightings at all. Then, obviously, I won't hunt it. But, if the deer are still using the trails I'm hunting and acting like they don't know I'm there, I'll keep hunting it when the wind is right.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like your way of thinking too Greg. Good points. My only reason for moving in my area is I am still learning travel routes/bedding areas. Most of my area is thick as well, until late season. Deer can/do get by me without me ever seeing them. I am having fun learning where the hot sets are though.

LT
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of all my sits this year I have been in5 different stands, and harvested deer from 3 of them.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

WHen you go to the same stand day after day at the same time and the same way in the deer know where you are going and when. They can pattern you just like you try to pattern them. So if you pay attention to the wind direction when you walk in and use a differant route and have multiple stands in the same area for differant wind directions you should see your success rate go up. This is my opinion it may work for you it may not but it works for me in my situation.
You are absolutely right. However, if you use the wind and take different routes to the same stand, you'll keep it alive longer too. Unless you have the same wind day after day, you should hunt different stands according to the wind. I don't think that I've ever had more than 8 or 9 different stand sites during a season.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 21 sits under my belt - I have kids

Area 1) 6 sits - 2 Doe kills-BOW ( passed on 6 ----1.5 year old bucks)

Area 2) 1 Sit - (Passed on yearlings and 3 ---1.5 year old bucks)

Area 3) 14 Sits - (Passed on dozens of deer and 9--- 1.5 year old bucks)..I had a 120 class shooter buck out of range..Killed 3 does in this area.

I do not shoot young bucks...A shooter for me now is 110 + in the areas I hunt.

I have 3 DOE bow kills and 3 Gun kills...

I have passed on roughly 20 young bucks..spikes, 3's, 4's 5's , 6's, 7's and a 13 inch 8 pointer.

I will sit 10 more times before Jan.1

Quick Reply: Hunting the same spots.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.