Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is still doe hunting/I m takin it to the ground >

Who is still doe hunting/I m takin it to the ground

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is still doe hunting/I m takin it to the ground

Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Default RE: Who's still doe hunting??

I think that deer know their living room like we know ours. I think that if something is different..that it takes some getting used to so that deer are comfortable with the change. I feel that a guy should make some ground blinds in the area or brush piles so that if you want to hunt you can slip into the ground blind area and either hunt from the brush area or slip your ground blind into the brush pocket you created preseason. The pic I posted of the ASAT was a deadfall that was already there and I just slipped my blind into it and the deer accepted it as it was no big change. Preseason brush pockets or ground blinds would be the secret to success. Let's face it...$300-$400 wrapped up in a ground blind is too much $$ to just leave outside all of the time so it can grow legs and get up and disappear by some thief. Not to mention rodents play havoc on them. I left my ASAT setup out in the Gila National forest for 10 days while bowhunting elk. The rodents chewed my bottom of the blind in areas and chewed all of the zipper straps off. Like the DB guys state..these are portable blinds...portable means portable and they are not designed to set out and get stolen or destroyed by critters, heavy snowfall, icestorms, or high wind. In short..these need to be slipped into an existing brush pocket and the success would be high with these.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 more doe tag I hope to fill that Saturday.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm taking advantage of the late season to try something different on the does.
Me too. My goal is to take a doe with my recurve over my Christmas break. (fingers crossed)
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love late season doe hunting. I've been hunting a certain group of OLD does (talking 5 years and older here) the last two years that have given me the slip. Last year, the last week I alternated between doe and gun every other day and they really humbled me. I have a different set-up for these old girls this year, down wind of three trails entering and exiting a food plot. Should be fun
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

I love late season doe hunting. I've been hunting a certain group of OLD does (talking 5 years and older here) the last two years that have given me the slip. Last year, the last week I alternated between doe and gun every other day and they really humbled me. I have a different set-up for these old girls this year, down wind of three trails entering and exiting a food plot. Should be fun
Old mature does are harder to hunt than most bucks imo. I have got busted by them way more times than by bucks.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be at it. I've got a ground blind sitting over a turnip plot that is getting hammered right now, no one has been in there since mid October. I've got another handful of spots around the property too that should really produce for me. There is a small chance I may be out with the bow this upcoming weekend during the last weekend of PA's firearms season, and I will definitely be at it 1 or 2 more weekends during our late season that opens after x-mas.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you would have too much success on the ground with a bow.....But I hunt in the middle of feilds in my lawn chair all the time with my gun. Seen more deer like that than I have in a stand. Not kidding.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Ill be bowhunting doe's until march. This in effort to get some of the doe's outta there. I dont use ground blinds much, mainly hanging from the side of a tree.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 AM

I'll be out this weekened and hopefully put a doe or two on the ground.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

I went out and brushed in a Matrix 2nite. I found out the only good thing multiforal roses are good for is brushin a blind..if you can get past the thorns..they grip the blind good and you don't have to worry about them falling off. Got some new snow last night..but I couldn't find a spot to use my white blind cover so I just slipped it in this hole. Couldn't hunt...just set it up and took off. Hopefully tommorrow sometime.

Quick Reply: Who is still doe hunting/I m takin it to the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.