Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String loops

Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default String loops

I recently got a new bow. I have never used loops on my string for my release. Well not regularly. I have several of the metal ones I picked up at some point. I know I have tried them but never got used to them. It seems like all your doing is shortening your draw. I know there is supposed to be some advantages to them or you wouldn't see them. Wear on the serving is one I know of but my realease didn't seem to hurt my older bow.

So whats the deal. What is it I may be missing. Should I get one tied on and try it?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String loops

In my (little) expirence, loops help reduce torque on the bow string, reduce wear on the serving, and allow the shooter to put the pressure directly behind the arrow. All improving performance or creating longevity.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have been told the metal ones deccrease the life of the serving as well as wear out your release from the metal on metal contact. I personally like the string loops better.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

A BCY loop is just great to have, I dont know exactly what advantages other than whats been mentioned, but I love mine.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

To clarify. I currently do not shoot a loop at all. I clip my release to the string just below the arrow. This seems to work fine but I wonder about what I am missing not using one. It seems to me like one more thing that could fail.

I do have some metal loops in my box of archery stuff. I tried them years ago but disliked having to find them when a shot at an animal presented itself. That and the metal to metal click I seemed to get. Didn't use it any more than on the range.

Didn't someone make a release that held above and below the arrow? I wouldn't mind one of those. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?...I have looked but nothing jumps out at me.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Moral of my story....String loops, in my experience, help keep everything straight and lower the amount of friction on your actual bow string. Now here's the longer version of my story....

String Loops are benificial in two ways(never used metal)
1)Less friction on the bow string...b/c string loops get worn over about 2 or 3 years, so why wouldn't your bow string do the same...a loop costs less than $2.

2)Ease of tuning. My loop keeps everything straight from my rest to my release. If you notice someone who places the release on the bowstring just under the arrow know, there's a kink in the string you just don't get when you're using a string loop. For example, with my current setup, if I take off my stringloop and shoot the loopless way mentioned above...my arrow dives almost straight into the ground. I understand there should be a difference, but without the string loop seems kinda too severe to me.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

1. More consistent release.

2. I can't see how a loop would lengthen your DL any more than I could see how it shortens it (unless your loop is RADICALLY long).
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. More consistent release.

2. I can't see how a loop would lengthen your DL any more than I could see how it shortens it (unless your loop is RADICALLY long).
We'll If you have a long release and/or a loop you cannot physicaly pull the bow back as far. Sure its only 1/4-1/2 inch but when your talking having the bow fit you right that may make all the difference.

Wear on the searving isn't much of a factor as I can easily reserve it. Though it would be nice to just replace the loop and not have to retune the whole setup. However my old compound has 14 years on the serving with me pulling from below the nock. Granted I didn't shoot it a ton some of those years but it sure has put plenty downrange. More than you'd think it should have on the original string etc.

Ok lets look at pros and cons.

Pros
------------------------------------
Lessens serving wearDoesn't seem like a huge issue
More even release <-----------I like this one for sure

Cons
-----------------------------------
not as easy to find in hunting situation <----------------could be a major problem, looking down to find the loop....
one more thing to fail if tied right it shouldn't fail but....
Slight decrease in physical length you can draw May be so slight its not an issue

At least thats how I see it. Like I said I can see why the idea is a good one. I just worry about finding it in a hunting situation. (I hate having to look down to clip the release on) That may not be an issue if you got realy use to it I guess. I also worry about them failing. It would realy suck to have a huge buck at 25 yards and have the loop come untied. Just my traditional simple is best coming out....

I may have to try one again in the spring/summer with this new bow. I do find it funny that people went to releases from fingers to get a cleaner release and now thats not "clean" enough and you have to go with an extra string loop.

Just a thought.

I've shot a long time and learned the hard way to research before getting the newest gadget no matter how cheap. You have less headaches that way.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

We'll If you have a long release and/or a loop you cannot physicaly pull the bow back as far. Sure its only 1/4-1/2 inch but when your talking having the bow fit you right that may make all the difference.
If you can pull your bow back to the back wall.....explain to me how the length of your D-loop affects DL, realisitcally.

What's the difference in finding your D-loop v. finding your string?

I've shot THOUSANDS of shot through several different bows.....and I've never had a D-loop fail (come untied). I suppose one could have the same (unwrranted?) fears RE: limb failure if he so chose.

I've shot a long time and learned the hard way to research before getting the newest gadget no matter how cheap. You have less headaches that way.
Sounds like a resounding reason to take up traditional archery.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot bows both ways, and to me it is a toss up. The bow I've hunted with most this year does Not have a loop. It doesn't make me any more/less accurate to have a loop, and it does change the felt draw length of the bow even if it is onlyslight. That's a No Brainer!
I know guys that shoot a loop and still miss deer and/or make bad shots. Would they be worse without a loop? I doubt it[8D]
Jason, I would be careful putting that many years on a bowstring. I have seenagedstrings completely blow without even a little warning. To me it would not be worth the risk to put more than 2 years on a string.

Dan

Quick Reply: String loops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.