HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shed Hunting Traps (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/277560-shed-hunting-traps.html)

stickersNkickers 12-08-2008 10:27 PM

Shed Hunting Traps

Do you think it is unethical to set up shed traps? By this, I mean taking chicken wire and wrapping it around a tree making a V and putting corn in the middle in hopes that the buck will hit the wire with its antler and they will fall. Just wondering if you guys think it is ethical. I believe it is unethical, and will only walk to find them!!

TEmbry 12-08-2008 10:31 PM

RE: Shed Hunting Traps

If bucks never died from it? How could it be unethical?
BUT, i've seen far to many bucks tangled up and left to die in wire fences, traps, left out strands, etc....so yea, id say not a good idea just incase the buck isnt ready to shed when that antler gets caught.

Washington Hunter 12-08-2008 10:35 PM

You're kidding, right? [&:]

stickersNkickers 12-08-2008 10:35 PM

Well, dont you think it is sorta cheating just to walk out there and pic up sheds that you didnt work for?

Washington Hunter 12-08-2008 10:37 PM

No, I don't.

I don't work for sheds.

I wander around looking for them. I happen upon them.

I don't work for them.

dstubb 12-08-2008 10:39 PM

Well, dont you think it is sorta cheating just to walk out there and pic up sheds that you didnt work for?
Ummm... wouldn't you actually work harder if you were to build a contraption and bait the thing rather than just walking around? I think that these sort of devices are fine as long as you check them daily and then remove them after the shedding season.

Scott/IL 12-08-2008 10:43 PM

I believe they are illegal in Illinois, as any kind of feeding station is banned---doesn't matter if you are hunting over it or not.

But even if it was legal, I still think I would prefer to wander around the woods and find sheds. I would think that if a buck was coming into a feeder during the winter, that would be removed shortly after that where you found his sheds wouldn't give you a true reading as to where he may actually be living6 months from then. I plan to shed hunt every chance I get this winter. I want to find some good sheds, but my main goal is to put as much effort as I can into scouting my area. Just my theory on the matter though.

Sliverflicker 12-08-2008 11:00 PM

It would take all the fun out of it!

Dubbya 12-08-2008 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: stickersNkickers

Do you think it is unethical to set up shed traps? By this, I mean taking chicken wire and wrapping it around a tree making a V and putting corn in the middle in hopes that the buck will hit the wire with its antler and they will fall. Just wondering if you guys think it is ethical. I believe it is unethical, and will only walk to find them!!
Unethical? Seriously? No. Granted it wouldn't be as much fun. If baiting is legal by your Department of Wildlife, then I don't see the issue. But if it makes you feel better, put two hay bales about 8" apart and put the corn in the middle of that. Hay is an unrefined substance, wire is.

So... is it ethical to plant an apple tree so that it drops fruit in your yard or should we walk to find those as well?[&:]

Dubbya 12-08-2008 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: stickersNkickers

Just playin the devil's advocate here, but if it's cheating to just "walk out there and pick up a shed" is it cheating to pick one up while your in the woods for any other purpose than shed hunting? Say for instance, turkey hunting or coyote hunting?