Where did the time go so quickly? Wow! It seems almost like yesterday, when I got my first compound bow. Well below are the pics that..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where the heck did it go!!?? >

Where the heck did it go!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where the heck did it go!!??

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Where the heck did it go!!??

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Where did it go. Hmm. When you were shooting your first buck I was sitting in a bunker going through something called Tet, 1968.I was the leader of a recon platoon doing some huntin. WEll really, I was in a mobile bunker out in the Que Son Valley, RVN. People today don't even know what it was. I came home in Decand went bow hunting. From that point on... all was well with the world.8 months later I was back in the Que Son hunting again with 200 people at my command. It goes fast. I came home and went bowhunting. All was well in the world at that point.
Good for you Dave, now go pick your zits.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my best reads...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty damn good thread Greg, almost everyone thought so anyway.[8D] I've only been at It for 24 years so my time don't compare to you but I still ask my self once In a while where time goes. It Is crazy, but man It's been fun. I have a feeling It's going to be just as exciting If not more the next 24 years.

Good stuff Greg, you've got some great memories. Well done!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

I still rmember where I was standing when I said one day....."that was 30 years ago". That's been a few years, now.

They go by faster and faster......they really do.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:09 AM
Bartender

Way to fast and I find myself doing the what if way to much now. (Father for sure)
My oldest son turns 12 on Christmas so the day after we will be going on a deer hunt with
a gun in his hands. At this age I believe in 1 gun between the 2 of us so he can have my
full attention.

Greg do you still have that bow from 68?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was around in 1968, but my hunting back then was for rabbits and squirels. Hadn't discovered the deer hunting yet. I didn't start chasing them until 1975. But I still have fond memories of the beginnings also.

You are certainly right about it seeming like only yesterday, but it was a looooong time ago. There sure are more deer around now than there were back then. Makes that recurve buck seem that much more respectable.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Greg!!! We were just talking about this the other day, it has been 33 years bow hunting for me. Heck when I started bow hunting in 1975 you had to be 12 years old and you couldn't even hunt from a tree you had to be on the ground. Walt
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 AM

I bet I was born within 20 days of you taking that buck Greg. I didn't hunt deer untill later in life, when I got out of the Navy in 1995. We just didn't have a huntable population up untill then. I did hunt about anything else I could, from early in life. Doves, quail, rabbits, turkey, coyotes, prarie dogs, you name it. My first doves were killed with my dads Browning A-5 12 gauge when I was 10. Killed two with 6 shells. That year he let me shoot whatever he had left out of a box after he killed his limit. Limit was 12, and I usually got to shoot half a dozen times or so. Yeah, he was pretty good with a shotty gun back then.

I don't know where the time goes though, I turned forty a few weeks ago. Made me start thinking about alot of things and changed my focus on hunting. It's not so much about me right now, but about my children. My youngest son will be 12 this year, and he is looking to kill his 6th deer. Time is slipping away from me. By the time he goes off to college his little sister will be about ready to be getting started.

This was me and dad, circia 1978-79

Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg...yes, you are getting old. Let's see what the next excuse will be that you can post the picture of your massive drop tine buck.[8D] lol

And if you move back to IL, your tags won't cost so much!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, Greg is that a slingshot I see hanging out your right pocket? Dennis the Menace in the flesh. Yeah, it goes by fast. After 21 it blends together in one long seemless memory.

Quick Reply: Where the heck did it go!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.