Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Predator hunting with your bow? >

Predator hunting with your bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Predator hunting with your bow?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Predator hunting with your bow?

Anyone ever set up over a fresh deer carcass?

If so....have you had any success in the daylight hours?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Predator hunting with your bow?

I would equate that to hitting the lotto if you are successful, let us know if you try it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

SO you think they only feed at night? I have NO idea.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I would equate that to hitting the lotto if you are successful, let us know if you try it.
I've never hit the lotto, but have killed yotes over deer carcass' during the day light

The perks of your best friend and his family working as deer proccessors during the season.

Now, maybe setting up over multiple is only like hitting a few numbers, I'm not sure. But I assure you, and GMMAT that they don't only feed at night. I think you know that, though.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Never have, but thats a good idea. I left two gutpiles in a cut cornfield this season, they were cleaned up in a day or two.

Jeff, I see coyotes all the time in daylight here and have killed two with my bow over the years, one from the ground. So I assume coyotes will feed in daylight in NC also. Besides, I've been told that the yotes mating season is generally in late December. A few years ago I witnessed coyotes chasing each other around a small finger of brush for at least a half hour. Looked like they were playing ring around the rosie.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 PM

I don't know, just starting to get in to predator hunting, I look forward to reading more replies on this as I plan on getting more serious about predator hunting next year, and doing more of it with my bow.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 PM

I'm just saying...setting up within bow range of a deer carcass (not a processor dump site where years worth of training teaches em free food there)...well, you'd be darn lucky.

I'd think you would have a MUCH, MUCH better chance trying to call them in to bowrange than waiting at a deer carcass. In fact, I think it was Randy Anderson who just made an archery only predator calling DVD a year or two ago. I havent seen it yet, but if its predator hunting and Randy Anderson is talking, its worth listening to, he knows his stuff.

They feed and are active during the daytime but obviously prefer the night, much like a deer.

Maybe try calling one in AT the deer carcass, two birds with one stone.

I dont know much about them either, other than they are pretty darn hard to hunt.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned

Gota carcass pileout right now that has been established and is getting hit good by yotes. My experience with predators is that you have to hunt them over a carcass at night. Good luck. Wait till snow on the ground(u may have 2 wait a while down there??) and you can see quite well at night. Setup a blind so that they get used to it and slip in one night. I will be going out one of these nights myself.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Gota carcass pileout right now that has been established and is getting hit good by yotes. My experience with predators is that you have to hunt them over a carcass at night. Good luck. Wait till snow on the ground(u may have 2 wait a while down there??) and you can see quite well at night. Setup a blind so that they get used to it and slip in one night. I will be going out one of these nights myself.
I wish, night hunting is illegal here. Daytime is all we can work with for everything except coons, possums, fish, and frogs.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

[ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I'm just saying...setting up within bow range of a deer carcass (not a processor dump site where years worth of training teaches em free food there)...well, you'd be darn lucky.

First year dump site. But I see what you're saying.

but if its predator hunting and Randy Anderson is talking, its worth listening to, he knows his stuff.

Absolutly, but....location[:-]j/k kinda

They feed and are active during the daytime but obviously prefer the night, much like a deer.

Not here. More active during the afternoon (9-12). Feeding, or just running around.

Maybe try calling one in AT the deer carcass, two birds with one stone.

Exactly. Now you got it.

I dont know much about them either, other than they are pretty darn hard to hunt.
I'd say, but darn fun.

Quick Reply: Predator hunting with your bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.