Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You can have your peeps for hunting...not me >

You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Off and on over the years I've given peep sights a try while bowhunting. The overwhelming majority of years not. My current peep works well, rotates perfect, is very open. The shop even drilled it out more. No more peep sight for me while hunting. I've taken it off and am currently back to using my old method without a peep sight. Did well without one for years. Taken probably 95% of my deer without one. Not an excuse but I did not feel comfortable taking a shot the last legal bowhunting day on last Wednesday. I hunted a new area hard all last week and finally was able to get a stand into location enabling me to get within range of a 135" buck. At legal shooting light, halfway hiding behind a small tree in my stand, I drawed back and just could not get comfortable with my anchor seeing through the peep sight, so I let off and just watched him feeding at 20 yards until darkness took over. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me instead. I know its probably just me, but I am using the peep only for 3D from now on. I'm just a sayin.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

I too am going to try shooting without a peep in the off season.

Question, though.....

If you become proficient without a peep........and you shoot your bow WITH a peep.......how could it mess you up? In other words.....what stopped you from taking the shot?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Jeff, I admit to not having the best form in the world. Shot local 3D tournaments for years without a peep when shooting fingers. Went to a release several years and then tried a peep....no problem when shooting 3D. But for hunting its always been a problem for me in years past because of low light shooting situations.

In other words.....what stopped you from taking the shot?
Just did not get comfortable with my anchor and putting the pin where I wanted while looking through the peep and sight. Best explanation I can give. My peep sight may even be too big, but I just never could get totally comfortable and totally confident while bowhunting with one.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe I didn't ask it clearly....

If you're comfortable shooting without a peep.....why would the presence of the peep impede you?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know its probably just me, but I am using the peep only for 3D from now on
Why not just keep It simple and not use It for 3-D also?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem along with what you admit to,is that the peep most likely isn't positioned properly.Could be a result of inconsistant form.There is a chance it is your vision as well,some just have trouble seeing through them.

I myself can see through mine at night and never have a problem with it.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

peeps and low light can be tough. I put an arrow over the back of a big 8 pointer years ago. After that I started using a peep and haven't looked back. If you can shoot good without one you are better off. I will keep using mine.......... probably until it costs me a deer[8D]
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

i have the same problem in low light, but then again i still use it because i figure if i cant shoot through the peep, its probly too dark to take a reaL good shot anyway.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I love my peep. I just love the pin point accuracy. I have no problem shooting with one.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for the dumb question but how would you shot with out one... jus have the same anchor point everytime????????

Quick Reply: You can have your peeps for hunting...not me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.