Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It's always on my mind.... >

It's always on my mind....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's always on my mind....

Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 PM

Default It's always on my mind....

the past few years have been a period of enlightenment for me as a bowhunter.....From Nov 15 to Jan3 I find myself in the deer woods on a stand with shotgun in hand and hounds howling after deer every saturday....sounds exciting... and it is, but even in the midst of a that excitement, my mind wanders away from the yelping hounds to better times in the solice of the tree standin late Oct...I find myself looking around the woods for places to scout for bow season and i start thinking of hunts from the present year that leave me speechless...God I wish it would never end...the funny thing is, in the last 2 weeks I have learned so much more about what i need to do and what will make me a better bowhunter in the future and I have not even killed a deer in this past two weeks...just by re -focusing, talking to my buddies, (swampcollie) and (Team Va), I have begun to reach back into my 20 yrs ofexperience and bring things to the surface that i have forgotten...Playing the wind, bedding areas, food sources, travel routes, reason and logic....the basic stuff that i completely neglected, either all together or just one at a time....the basics will hold true forever, and they never change...
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's always on my mind....

Good post Landon. Sometimes when you get "advanced" you forget the basics. Not saying you do, but I know I do.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM

I don't know if Im advanced or just plain stupid sometimes..I just get side tracked and over analyze things..
Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I don't know if Im advanced or just plain stupid sometimes..I just get side tracked and over analyze things..
LOL, you and me both!

VS...you are right!

I had my 11yr old send me back to the basicsa couple times this fall with some of his questions.Kinda like football or baseball....you always gotta build off the basics. Sometimes I feel like I get so far off track by overthinking...it drives me crazy. Once in a while I long for the days where I just picked up my gun or bow and headed into the woods....and didn't have 50lbs of crap with me.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM

WV I hear ya!! I wish I could just throw 75% of the crap I hear and read right out the window and go back to just walking in the woods with all my gear and throwing the stand up where ever it feels right!! I used to do this all the time, then i started questioning why...and then that led to the over-analizations!!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, Turkey season comes in, I go and watch em in the afternoon and sure enought the first thing on my mind is, "man that would be an awesome spot for bowseason" I hate to see it going out, but the ducks will keep me busy, then fishing, its the same cycle year after year.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a feeling next year will be two fold for ya bud!!! thats the attitude to have

the past few years have been a period of enlightenment for me as a bowhunter.....From Nov 15 to Jan3 I find myself in the deer woods on a stand with shotgun in hand and hounds howling after deer every saturday....sounds exciting... and it is, but even in the midst of a that excitement, my mind wanders away from the yelping hounds to better times in the solice of the tree standin late Oct...I find myself looking around the woods for places to scout for bow season and i start thinking of hunts from the present year that leave me speechless...God I wish it would never end...the funny thing is, in the last 2 weeks I have learned so much more about what i need to do and what will make me a better bowhunter in the future and I have not even killed a deer in this past two weeks...just by re -focusing, talking to my buddies, (swampcollie) and (Team Va), I have begun to reach back into my 20 yrs ofexperience and bring things to the surface that i have forgotten...Playing the wind, bedding areas, food sources, travel routes, reason and logic....the basic stuff that i completely neglected, either all together or just one at a time....the basics will hold true forever, and they never change...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM

thanks bloodcrick, I don't know why, but the past 3 weeks have been awesome and I have only seen 6 deer in 3 weeks...sometimes it's not what you see, but what you don't see that can change your approach and thought process. it has all come back to me now here in the late season...this is the first year that i have actually hunted with a bow during shotgun season, it has been the best thing I have ever done...I have learned so much b/c of it...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

My inlaws think im crazy that im hunting with a bow still Im like you, its not always the kill, but the thrill. hang tough

thanks bloodcrick, I don't know why, but the past 3 weeks have been awesome and I have only seen 6 deer in 3 weeks...sometimes it's not what you see, but what you don't see that can change your approach and thought process. it has all come back to me now here in the late season...this is the first year that i have actually hunted with a bow during shotgun season, it has been the best thing I have ever done...I have learned so much b/c of it...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM

I have tried to explain it to people around here that I love to bowhunt more than anything....they don't get....I like to hunt with the shotgun and dogs, but my sou is consumed with bowhunting...

Quick Reply: It's always on my mind....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.