Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your experience with cold weather and deer movement? >

Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?

Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?

Not just cold..... but nostril hair/eyes wateringfreezing cold[&:]. I'm talking single digit temps with windchills around zero or below?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?

Been on stand many times with below zero temps and wind chills in the double digits down. It seems the movement is good, concentrating on food sources, deer "yard up" more, traveling in large groups, especially does, fawns, and subordinate bucks. Hunting these groups can be difficult. It seems the "matriarch" of the group is a mature doe with no interest in feeding but allowing the group to feed while she runs radar. Mature bucks seem to still be prowling for any late estrus does but catching them during daylight can be tough. I would concentrate on the edges of food plots on afternoon hunts with a stand back in the woods attempting to intercept a bruiser cruising for those does.
It's amazing the popping and cracking the trees go through as the wood freezes and expands. It always worries me that the bow will snap in two when I draw.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

My best scoring buck was killed on a morning when it was 12deg. when I got to stand. That's frigid for these parts.

I feel like they HAVE to move more in the cold temps. It takes a lot of energy to keep a deer warm. They only get that through feeding.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've bow hunted In -30 below temps and It sucks!!! But the deer hunting can be pretty good meaning they move allot more and often when It's colder.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

Been on stand many times with below zero temps and wind chills in the double digits down. It seems the movement is good, concentrating on food sources, deer "yard up" more, traveling in large groups, especially does, fawns, and subordinate bucks. Hunting these groups can be difficult. It seems the "matriarch" of the group is a mature doe with no interest in feeding but allowing the group to feed while she runs radar. Mature bucks seem to still be prowling for any late estrus does but catching them during daylight can be tough. I would concentrate on the edges of food plots on afternoon hunts with a stand back in the woods attempting to intercept a bruiser cruising for those does.
It's amazing the popping and cracking the trees go through as the wood freezes and expands. It always worries me that the bow will snap in two when I draw.
I always wondered why that noise doesn't feak the deer out!
I worry about drawing my bow as well.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The colder the better I always say! They have to eat to stay warm and will move when the sun is shining!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

cold weather= food food food
Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad this subject was brought up! I have ALWAYS read and heard from people in the know, about how important cold temps are for good daytime buck movement during the rut.Especially where I hunt in Alberta. The last week of Nov was unusually warm (26F-40F) up there and I sawdaytime buck movement like I could have never even dreamedof. I saw 10 different bucks by 1:00PM on my second day!When I arrived up there I was worried about the warm temps, and thought all the rut activity was going to be at night. How wrong I was.
Was I just lucky? This is what I thought at first, but after I gave it more thought, I came to the conclusion that since there is so much competition for the "hot" doe's because of the very close buck to doe ratio, the bucks will move when they have to. Regardless of the warm temps. I can't come up with a better explanation for what I saw.Does anyone not agree with this thinking?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I feel like they HAVE to move more in the cold temps. It takes a lot of energy to keep a deer warm. They only get that through feeding.
Deer actually move less during colder temperatures because it conserves energy and keeps their metabolism down which again conserves much needed energy. Deer will, however, hit food sources much earlier during the day during cold blasts and bed on south facing slopes rather than North.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 PM

If you feel comfortable enough with your skills and equipment...try stalking pine stands during snow squalls.....the deer group together and bed in the pines....be sure to watch the wind...check it every so often and glass the pines often too.....came up on a few already this year that were facing the other way....came withing 12-15 yards before a damn squirel blew my stalk.

Quick Reply: Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.