HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   They are still chasing! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/277052-they-still-chasing.html)

WV Hunter 12-05-2008 07:20 PM

They are still chasing!

Well, at least one is...LOL

I went out behind the house this evening and saw a small buck harassing the heck out of a doe with 2 fawns. He was running her all over the place, in and out of the thicket I was sitting on the edge of. Came by me 3 different times. I let this buck walk a couple times earlier this season, good to see he's made it through the last 5 weeks of gun season - maybe he'll survive. He's a 1.5yr old palmated oddball 5pt Rob buck...I'd like to see him in a couple years [8D]

I was hoping as he ventured in and out of the thicket (bedding area) that he might pick up a partner on the way out one of those times. No such luck. It was still nice to see some activity, usually the light switch flips like clockwork here at my house right around Dec 1. Good luck to those of you still after it...I'll be back out tomorrow :D

JoshKeller 12-05-2008 07:22 PM

RE: They are still chasing!

I actually found a nice scrape line wednesday that was made sometime during that day. Saw a decent buck tonite harassing a doe this evening, so Its still fairly decent here as well.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-05-2008 07:26 PM

I once saw a nice 8 trying to breed yearling doe(s) in Mid December.

WV Hunter 12-05-2008 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

I actually found a nice scrape line wednesday that was made sometime during that day. Saw a decent buck tonite harassing a doe this evening, so Its still fairly decent here as well.
Josh, you are only about 45 mins from me (I am down sw of Winchester about 25 mins). Last week in WV where I was (Hampshire) they were running hard, all week. Here in VA, I haven't seen a huge amount of chasing at all this year, glad to see its still going.

NCRemington700 12-05-2008 07:37 PM

2nd rut?

WV Hunter 12-05-2008 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

2nd rut?

LOL....NO, first rut for sure.

We are way late this year, here....but of course if you go by the moon, not so late really as it was supposed to start 3rd week of nov anyhow. ?? I didn't see squat for rut activity the first half of Nov like I usually do here.

NCRemington700 12-05-2008 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

2nd rut?

LOL....NO, first rut for sure.

We are way late this year, here....but of course if you go by the moon, not so late really as it was supposed to start 3rd week of nov anyhow. ?? I didn't see squat for rut activity the first half of Nov like I usually do here.

Yeah, the most chasing I saw was 2 BBs chasing about 5 does! [&:]

JoshKeller 12-05-2008 07:42 PM

I've honestly had my best luck the last week of nov, and 1st week of december the past few years. Unfortunatly, I think the bucks will be out looking for those last few does during doe season. [:@]

RockinChair 12-05-2008 08:08 PM

The second rut will occur 28-30 days after the peak rut in your area. Granted different areas peak at different times but in general, it should fire up again pretty hot late into next week.