Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Advice

Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Default RE: Bow Advice

wow thanks joe! yeah Townsend in about 2 hours from me. I'm sure there are some places arond here I just dont know of any.

can someone tell me if the tru-fire brand of releases are good quality?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently picked up a Bear Instinct package from bass pro for 299. A similar package to the PSE your looking at. It fits me well but I have been shooting archery for 22 years so I didn't need the techs advice.

I see in the paper they also have a Diamond Razor Edge package for 329. Never picked the bow up...but it looks nice.

If you can shoot any of them before you buy I suggest doing so. Nothing wrong with getting it at bass pro but like Josh said you'll get a little more experienced help at a good shop.

Good luck finding what works for you. I do suggest you stay on the less expensive side as you realy don't need to worry about the newest fastest gizmos out there. You need a solid performing bow.

Oh one suggestion if your a total beginner. A bow with longer Axle to Axle may be a good choice as they are a bit more forgiving usually. Take your time and find someone local that knows what they are doing and practice as much as you can.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

tru-fire releases are of great quality bud, have one myself actually!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

I recently picked up a Bear Instinct package from bass pro for 299. A similar package to the PSE your looking at. It fits me well but I have been shooting archery for 22 years so I didn't need the techs advice.

I see in the paper they also have a Diamond Razor Edge package for 329. Never picked the bow up...but it looks nice.

If you can shoot any of them before you buy I suggest doing so. Nothing wrong with getting it at bass pro but like Josh said you'll get a little more experienced help at a good shop.

Good luck finding what works for you. I do suggest you stay on the less expensive side as you realy don't need to worry about the newest fastest gizmos out there. You need a solid performing bow.

Oh one suggestion if your a total beginner. A bow with longer Axle to Axle may be a good choice as they are a bit more forgiving usually. Take your time and find someone local that knows what they are doing and practice as much as you can.
thanks Jason, I saw that diamond razors edge in the sale paper from BP...The only thing that kept me from it, is it maxes at at 60 # draw weight I think...so Once I practiced and got my muscles into shape back there...if I wanted to go past 60 I couldnt, correct?..or could I take it to a shop and get that changed?

I did think about that bow though...but was not sure of the quality
Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 PM

I got a camo cobra dual caliper release on sale for I think 29 bucks and it is a pretty nice release. make sure you use a d loop though or it will tear up your serving. try this website. www.bowhuntingoutfitter.com
Old 12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the Simms S-coil stabilizer, compact andbest for the money.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:44 PM

+1 to what kelly said The scoil is awesome and relatively inexpensive
Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Hi guys.I ended up ordering the PSE stinger not from bass pro, but from a local archery store..the guys were really nice. I did infact get the s-coil with it. I got a tru-fire release. The bow should be in towards the end of the comming week and then he said a few days for them to get it ready. Basically it is comming with everything the bass pro model had..the whisker biscuit rest, the f-18 sights...etc etc

I was looking at the whisker biscuit today on another bow set up, and I did ask, this and the guy really didnt answer me as he was helping another cust, and I forgot to ask again...but will the whisker biscuit tear up the fletchings after a while? it appears the "hairs" in there would rip them to shreds to me..??
I am getting the draw weight set at 60..and we measured me for the draw length..which is right at 28...

Now I just need to learn to shoot! hah...I have a few people to teach me the proper form and such..I am really excited about getting this bow...

Sinced it is technically a xmas gift from my fiance to me, (she paid half) she will not let me toy with it until christmass, so I have to just sit there and look at it until then! which is going to be torture!

the total came to about 50$ more than if I would have gotten it at bass pro...but I really like the personal touch these guys have too...they did not treat me like crap, being a newbie...they treated me very well!!

thank you for your suggestions and all the helpguys

anyone that has used a whishker buscuit if you can let me know if it tears up the fletchings?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM

hmmm so no one uses a whisker biscuit? if anyone does please let me know if it tears up your fletchings after a while?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM

ok well, I ditched the bisket and got a nice drop away put on the bow...Since it's an xmas gift I still cannot shoot it more than "making sure I like the way it shoots", while we are in the shop...grrrr,
Hell , it's bought and paid for and she is making the pro shop that tuned it hold onto it until the 22nd
it's killing me!!! haha

Anyways, as I said, it's the PSE stinger, I got it set for 60# DW, and 29" DL

This fits me well..

The last thing I am having them put onis the S-coil Stabilizer as well..what length would be sufficient for this set up?
Hopefully, this will be my last question on this..

Thanks for all your help on this, it made the difference guys!

Quick Reply: Bow Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.