Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Advice

Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Bow Advice

thank you, to all of you that gave me suggestions before on a new bow. And thank you for offering to sell me one at a GREAT price.

I think I have found one I like. I went to bass pro shops today and held the PSE stinger in my hands and drew it ..Felt REALLY good to me..And this is about all we can afford to fork over for a new bow at this time.

I am just now learning to shoot.
Can someone PLEASE let me know if this appears to be a good bow, and something I could hunt with after I practice all winter and spring..

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_101433?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP _P0_2#reviews

It is a package deal..what else would I need to go with it, besides the arrows?

I just dont want to get ripped off and have the salesman throw all kinds of extras that I do not need at me.
Opinions on this bow please?
thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Advice

As far as arrow specs go, I'll let some of the other guys handle that for you. But, as far as the bow goes they've pretty much got almost everything on there that you need. Since you're just learning to shoot I'd highly recommend that they put a kisser button on for you just to make sure that you anchor at the same place every time. Also, if you're looking for a little for stability you can get an STS (string stabilizer) put on for about $40-50 if the wallet will allow for it. This will take away some of the hand shock and there is a world of difference between a bow that has one and one that doesn't. More important than this, however, is probably your regular stabilizer, I would go with this before the STS.

As far as other accessories, I'm sure you know you'll need a release. Don't let them talk you into $100 release, its not worth it for someone just getting into shooting. Another thing i can recommend for you to save a few bucks is there is no need to purchase broadheads right away. You'll be practicing all spring without them so there is no need to get them right now. Wait a couple of months if you need to save a little $$. Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 PM

thank you very much wahoohunter!!
I appreciate it...yeah I was just checking out the broadheads....will practicing with regualr field tips while I'm learning, and the switching ver to broadheads when I am ready to hunt next season, throw me off at all?? do they make a difference in the flight of the arrow, after I'm used to the field tips?

Sorry for my questions...just want to make sure..

and yes I am definaltey getting a release.
I did not think about a kisser button and honestly never heard of that..I am reseacrching that now after I type this..and I will get them to add a stablizer...thank you so much...

If anyone else has any advice or opinions...or if anyone browsing the basspro site knows of anyother bows around the same privce give or take 50 or 60 bucks..that would be a better deal, please do not hesitate to let me know...bass pro is pretty much our only place around here..that is why I am using them.

thanks guys...I am really really exciting to finally learning a bow...I have been shotgun hunting for a whilw now, and I'm so excited about learning with a bow.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ScottVA

thank you very much wahoohunter!!
I appreciate it...yeah I was just checking out the broadheads....will practicing with regualr field tips while I'm learning, and the switching ver to broadheads when I am ready to hunt next season, throw me off at all?? do they make a difference in the flight of the arrow, after I'm used to the field tips?

and yes I am definaltey getting a release.
I did not think about a kisser button and honestly never heard of that..I am reseacrching that now after I type this..and I will get them to add a stablizer...thank you so much...

About the broadheads, some broadheads fly just like field points. I shoot the G5 Montecs which are fixed blades that fly just like a field point. Other guys will be able to help you out a little more with finding expandables that shoot like fieldpoints. Just make sure you get the same grain broadhead that you have field point! the kisser button might cost you $1, its just a little button like thing that you put at the coerner of your lip while you're shooting and helps you knock the same place
Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you.. and this is only advice, I wouldnt go to Bass Pro or a big box store. I'd go to a true pro shop, and have them sell you a bow that fits YOU. If your talking about the bass pro in baltimore, the 3 times I've been there, I havent been impressed with the archery "techs". You'd be much better suited to buy an inexpensive package deal from a pro shop that has true archery techs.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 PM

looking at the stablizers now..there are soo many to chose from!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM

thanks josh...I dont really know of anywhere else around here...it's not the bass pro in maryland..it is in hampton VA. While I've never bought a bow from them obviously..I have bought several of my firearms there, and they have always treated me good there..but I understand what you are saying.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM

You might consider trying the sims s coil stabilizer it takes a lot of the shock and vibration out of my new martin saber, I got mine at cabelas on sale for like 19 bucks.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM

thanks gertsy...I just found that one..diff lengths are diff prices on the site ofcourse...they have a 4.5" (I think for $20)
I will add that to the list...

one last question...how much does a "good" release run?

I am looking at those now, and how no idea which one..they range anywhere from $20 up to $200 on the site...

Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Chris' Bait and Tackle in Townsend, Va. has a pro shop I found on bowtechs website, I am sure they sell a lot more than bowtech only. Here is the web address, http://www.chrisbait.com/Hunting.html Not sure if that is close to you or not but worth a look since it is a pro shop.

Quick Reply: Bow Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.