Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What have you learned this season ?

I learned it is a beotch to draw a trad bow with a broken middle finger.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something I already knew - it was just really driven home on more than one occasion this season:

1. When you're on the stand, stay still, stay alert, keep your eyes open and keep looking for the deer even when the leaves are thick and dry. Don't rely on listening for sounds to let you know they're coming. While they sometimes sound like cattle coming towards you, they are perfectly capable of not making a sound when they're in "stealth mode".

A new one for me that is related to number 1:

2. No more dipping on the stand. I was busted twice this year leaning over to spit - partially because I'd lost sight of number 1 above and didn't know the deer were there.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I learned that carrying you range finder around you neck is much faster than if it is in apouch on your belt.

I relearned to:

1. Stay on stand that extra 15 min.
2. My range estimation skills still stink and I need to pratice range estimation.

Bob
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM

1. Public Land sux
2.When people walk past you on public land...they will alwas stop to chat with you really really loudly.
No but seriously....

I learned that just because you don't get one, it doesn't make it a worthless hunt. I saw my first deer this year about a week and a half ago and I still think about it.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

What did you learn this year that yourself, and others, can benefit from you sharing ?
If you are not seeing deer........you are in the wrong spot....Move dammit!

Watching a 13 year old gut a deer is funner than killing one yourself....[:'(][:'(]
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been studying the art of tracking for a few years now. At first my only goal was to track one and shoot it. What I really learned (dah) was that by following a lot of deer tracks I could learn more about deer behavior. Where do they like to travel? What do they eat? where do they bed? When do they travel? The list goes on and on. I have learned more about deer these last 2 years then all the other 30+ years combined! This works for big woods areas as well as small wood lots. Also once a deer knows you are behind him you can learn what he does to try to get away. Where are his other "safe" areas. Most of what I learned can be applied to regular stand hunting. I will be much better at picking stand sites based on my knowledge of deer movement - both natural and forced.
oh ya, tracking does work

Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

OMG a gun on the bh forum get him outta here!!!! Just kidding, One thing that was really driven home this year for me was.
1. Always mark the spot you last saw your deer with a very distinct tree or other natural thing. Everything looks different on the ground.
2. Don't take the shot if you arnt 110% about it, because if your not you will miss or even worse wound the animal.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) something I already learned the hard way at least once before... Never dismiss any noise in the woods. I had a doe come in 2min after I shot a buck and she started running around in circles and back and forth like a squirrel. I dismissed it as a squirrel until it showed up 10yd from my stand. Suffice to say I could've set a better personal record that day.

2) ASAT makes you near undecipherable as danger even when you're wide open to the deer.

3) Waiting in ambush with your bow on an escape route while the orange army push deer your way is a good thing.

4) New boots get you busted much more easily than old bootsbecause of the new rubber smell.

5) Dragging deer through the swamp in the direction you think your truck is is a bad idea and will put you in zig zags if not circles. Mark with toilet paper your way out when you go put your equipment away after shooting the deer.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

4) New boots get you busted much more easily than old bootsbecause of the new rubber smell.
Ditto!

Also, I tested the wind more than ever this season using one of those "Wind Trackers". I can't believe how many times the wind can change directions in just a few minutes on stand!To all beginners, if you want to shorten the learning curve, monitor the wind direction. It will make or break any hunt.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.