Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So are they ??

Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 AM

Default So are they ??

After the last post I made and some very overwhelming respones, I got to thinking....are the Drury's hunting the best you can hunt in all those states?? I have dvd's where they are complaining about not seeing big bucks, but hell, their bad days out do my best days here and probably anywhere for that matter...so I can assume that not all of the midwest is that good, just certain places such as what they hunt??
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So are they ??

They(some of the Drury crew)had a lease 2 years agoabout a mile from where I killed my buck this year. Rumor was they had trouble with people tresspassing and stealing stands. Welcome to southern IL.[&:]
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure they are, now. Nobody really knows where they grew up that talks about them, I do. They grew up about 30 minutes south of my house, which is not too good of deer hunting. Ya, of course there's deer there, but it's NOTHING like what you see them do on TV.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Landon, come on?? Yes, the Drury's are hunting the absolute Mecca of deer hunting. HUGE chunks of private ground, only a handful of hunters (like 4) and intensely managed. Their pieces of land are also large enough that they have deer LIVING their entire lives on them. Huge differene here when compared to small tracts most of us have access to. When you can scout bucks like they do, between the trail cams and summer sightings, and KNOW that deer is living on your land, you can kill him with regularity, and pass the other 30 bucks that come by. Another factor to consider is time in the field. Theese guys are out every single day of the season, so by time alone, something is bound to happen. You bet your ass that I am not hunting on Drury type ground here.

Anyone remember two years ago when Lee Lakosky passed that 170" class deer because he was "only" probably 3.5? He knew that deer would be around the next year because of little pressure and tract size. In this particular case, the deer was poached, but still, passing deer like that just doesn't happen on Joe Blow's IL land, I don't care it is still has spots on it at 170".
Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Of course they are...I would too if I was hunting for a living a had the financial means to do so.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know some of their farms (particularly in Illinois) are in some AWESOME areas.I use to drive by and look and the deer (after I tagged out) in the fields and on their property and surrounding properties and it was pretty amazing. I vidoes over 100 deer in one of the bean fields on a property they lease or at least use to lease and at least 40 of them were bucks and there were 9 or 10 that would go over 150 including a couple of booners. The video will make you sea sick just watching it though from all the bouncing up and downI don't know if i was nervous seeing all those deer or I just suck as a camerman
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 AM

I down frown on them at all...I think it's great they have that. so what Im saying is, most of IL and IA is pretty much like everywhere else, hard hunting outside of the rut?? deer are reluctant to move on their own ??
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got in a tiff with Mark Drury in 2002 at a seminar. He was preaching about taking only broadside shots. He ask who would not take one I said I have He ask why, and I quote "Well Mr. Drury when you can pass a 140 class because the angle is bad, and wait 20 mins and have a 160 class come by, I would also "pass". When I got a 140 class in front of me, that's it, this is my one shot to score. I am not going to let it pass"

I did not win any prizes.

For the recrod the some famous big buck hunters do "things" to their property. The make funnels with hay bails/wire and other stuff. Wire is a big one amoung some well know big buck hunters. Guide the deer like cattle
Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM

interesting Germ... very interesting...I guess they do whatever it takes to sell a dvd..by the way, I wouldn't pass on a 140 either, I will make it happen if i can get him close enough.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

More big bucks fall to bait then a lot of us will ever know on TV

I have come to ignore the TV hunters, I put my faith in the King these days[:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.