Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: baiting

I've put out 1500lbs of corn this year. The deer in alot of places are only hitting the bait at night now that the booms sticks are out. Before rifle season my Dad set over several of our places and seen alot deer, just traveling through that didn't even stop to eat. I feel like it helps concentrate the deer more, but hunting directly over a bait pile is rough in my experience. I don't start baiting until right b/f muzzleloader season and I do this to concentrate the does in hopes of seeing a trailing buck. For the most part it's worked. I've passed up several bucks this year that would score around 110", and seen a couple out of bow range that would go P&Y.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

NChunterman
One question, do you feel the cost justifies the end result? If those deer are already there, and no bait pile "might" keep them from going nocturnal, wouldn't it(the cost of the bait) be better invested in somthing else? Just a question really, not degrading anything here.
Dandbuck
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

My Dad had a botched surgery 2 years ago and is left numb in the backs of his legs and the bottom of his feet. He has very little balance. Anything I can do to keep him in the sport I'll do. He can't cant stand up and turn around to shoot a deer like you and I, so in my case it's 100% justifiable. I don't hunt over bait 100% of the time actually I don't more often than not. If he could walk as good as I could I'd probably only buy 1/3 of that to help concentrate the does pre-rut through rut.

Edit: Where I hunt there is a bait pile around every corner, MOST everybody baits.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Let me add this because I find it very interesting. I have 60 acres that I've hunted for the past 5 years. My herd there would average between 10 to 13 does per a sit or glassing pre season. The adjacent land got leased to a hunting party 3 years ago, this should be good right(pressure)? I've seen a total of 8 deer on that 60 acres this season. I done some research ("trespassing"as it's not posted)and the adjacent land owners have put out un Godly amounts of corn/bait sitesand they have harvested some nice deer. They have a stand around every corner with a fresh corn at all times. I can't/not gonna compete with that. Call'm lazy/slobs or whatever, but they have concentrated most if not all the deer in the area to their parcel.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Sure you did Jeff. You have several times posted that certain views promote elitism and are ignorant. For you to know they are are ignorant, ill informned or elitist, you need to know better than them. So therefore, one can conclude you feel you superior to us dumb folk who know nothing about deer or thier habits. Maybe you are.
You have a vivid imagination, dude.....lol. Or....a vile motive.

Oh BTW....there's NEVER been a case of CWD reported in our baiting-legal state. Ignorance runs rampant.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Sure you did Jeff. You have several times posted that certain views promote elitism and are ignorant. For you to know they are are ignorant, ill informned or elitist, you need to know better than them. So therefore, one can conclude you feel you superior to us dumb folk who know nothing about deer or thier habits. Maybe you are.
You have a vivid imagination, dude.....lol. Or....a vile motive.

Oh BTW....there's NEVER been a case of CWD reported in our baiting-legal state. Ignorance runs rampant.
Well, DUDE, surfs up and ll that. Well, there has been in Eastern Ky, Northern WV, and others. So maybe you might get lucky and it just pass you by. Its moving someway or another. It just doesn't miracle itself to a spot.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, DUDE, surfs up and ll that. Well, there has been in Eastern Ky, Northern WV, and others. So maybe you might get lucky and it just pass you by. Its moving someway or another. It just doesn't miracle itself to a spot.
Just pointing out another broad based generalization proved false.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
bigcountry

Just pointing out another broad based generalization proved false.
Well, you havn't proved anything yet. Your just throwing out observations at this point.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

You're acting like every (or even the "average") person who baits does so with precision and unabated tact.

Get real, Trevor.

We're not discussing the people who have this down to an art form. I thought we were discussing the practice "in general". Your example is like trying to compare Phil Mickelson going for a par 5 in two from 277yds......and whether or not "golfers" should try it. Hell yeah it works most times......if you're Phil.

Most baiters ain't Phil

Most baiters dump it in the drink and make 8.
Not sure where that all came from....but how on earth is dumping out a sack of corn and returning a week later "down to an art form"?

In general, that's what ALOT of guys around here do...They dump out corn, and then hunt over it. No art form, no golfing. Not year round bait stations, not guys that hunt 5x a week. Maybe once a week guys, if that. These guys "in general" dont hunt enough to pressure deer in the first place.

Oh well, now it just sounds like I am generalizing all baiters which is what I wanted to steer clear from, because they aren't all the same just as all non baiters arent the same. We both realize that though.

It ain't like I'm calling it easy. I'm just saying a bait pile helps your odds, as does being in the woods during the rut, using scents, hunting trails instead of this spot looks good, being scent cautious, hunting great farms over average farms, switching it upduring setupsetc....plenty of tactics hunters employ to improve their odds, baiting absolutely being one of them.
Incase logic was overlooked a few pages back...this bad boy has gained 5 pages since then.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I've proven that the fear of the spread of CWD in our state is unfounded. We've been a baiting state for years....and there's yet to be a confirmed case of the disease.

Yet it's one of the first things uneducated people (in regards to baiting, here) cite as a reason to oppose it.

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.