Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm living proof that baiting isn't the easiest way to kill deer. I tried it....and the true confessionis.....if I thought I could be more successful baiting....I'd bait.

I fully agree with you, I guess itcan happen[8D]

I have said many times, if I didn't have to bait bear I wouldn't. I feel that it would be easier to spot and stalk a bear rather than bait him, and everything that goes with it.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff,

Was this for killing mature bucks or any deer at all?
No distinguishing between deer. This encompassed ALL deer.

Like I said.....you can believe anything you want.....and people are gonna believe what they wanna believe. I'm just giving you the facts. Do with them what you will.

I'm living proof that baiting isn't the easiest way to kill deer. I tried it....and the true confessionis.....if I thought I could be more successful baiting....I'd bait.

I know better.
Wow, I truly am shocked. So it's been proved that baiting will net you less dead deer (any deer) than not baiting? Then why do so many do it, if it gets less results? I'm not disputing your findings, I know nothing about feeding other than every time I see a pic of a feeder, there's usually a deer (or two or three) under it eating.

Why the hell do people bait deer if it lessens their chance of killing one? I'm stumped....

Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll try to find the thread where I cited the study. I posted on it a few months ago.

Study was conducted in SC.....and the criteria (I believe) was hunter success on baited tracts v. non-baited tracts.

Study showed a hunter was more likely to be successful (harvesting deer) when they did NOT employ baiting.

Around here, John.....you have people worried about the guy next door and what he's doing. They feel like he's baiting....so they have to "out-bait" him. Then his neighbor has to out-bait HIM.

Just think about it....With the exception Brknarrow (Frank).....I'm the ONLY.....SINGULAR.....UNO.....other person I know in this STATE who doesn't bait deer. I'm not that good......but wouldn't my results lend you to think maybe baiting ISN'T the way to go????

Confession:

I've baited areas before. I did it this year. I've baited areas for my son to hunt....and for friends to hunt.....but the truth of the matter is......NONE of them have ever killed a deer over bait, either! I bought into the hype, too, it seems.....because it's never worked out in a positive manner for me, here.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:30 PM

If I was trying to go out and kill any oledeer, I believe 100% a cornpile 20 yards from my stand increases my odds, regardless of any study by any scientists. I used to do it, and umm...well, it works. It brings in deer. I haven't baited for 3-4 years now, and have success without it. But that's not to say a cornpile doesn't help. I can't believe people actually believe it actually hurts your chances?

Jeff, you target more specific deer, and older ones at that. I wouldn't consider you as someone who would benefit from baiting. But do you honestly feel if you were going to shoot the first deer, doe spike 14 pt doesnt matter, that came in...that it would be easier without a cornpile than with one?

New hunter first week in the woods. Does he benefit more by throwing out 50 lbs of corn in front of a stand, coming back that weekend and hunting, or setting up somewhere he feels deer will be moving through?

Just a difference of opinion I guess.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

If I was trying to go out and kill any oledeer, I believe 100% a cornpile 20 yards from my stand increases my odds, regardless of any study by any scientists. I used to do it, and umm...well, it works. It brings in deer. I haven't baited for 3-4 years now, and have success without it. But that's not to say a cornpile doesn't help. I can't believe people actually believe it actually hurts your chances?

Jeff, you target more specific deer, and older ones at that. I wouldn't consider you as someone who would benefit from baiting. But do you honestly feel if you were going to shoot the first deer, doe spike 14 pt doesnt matter, that came in...that it would be easier without a cornpile than with one?
I want to say that the study to which gmmat is referring involved year round baiting/feeding, not just a one or two time deal during hunting season. As far as doing this (year round) then it absolutely hurts your chances
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

it absolutely hurts your chances
Ok then?[&:] If you say so. Just find it comical with the number of deer killed over bait in my area, knowing these guys knowledge of deer...you're saying take away their corn pile and they have better odds?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never baited a deer, as I can't...

But I can tell you that once they catch on, "any old bear" will likely become nocturnal. There are tricks to baiting the right way...if you do it the right way, it will increase your chance...just not as much as not baiting period, in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Let's put it this way.....

I think baiting is an art from.....if you're going to get solid results.

Let's think about your average "baiter". I know even my shop owner does it this way.....

1. He has a stand behind his house with a gravity feeder, there. He walks the same path to the fixed stand, there.....and the same path out. Now who's patterned who?

2. Property #2......2 baited sites.....same deal. Same entry/exit paths.

3. Property #3 - one baited site. They ride the ATV to the same spot....and walk in from there.....same path.

Now I'm betting I just described over 90% of how "baiters" operate. If I'm wrong I'd be surprised. Do some people do it differently? Sure. Are they likely MORE successful? Sure. Do I think I could bait in a mature buck? Damn right I do.....especially right now. But it wouldn't be on a site I'd been baiting all season....and I wouldn't use much bait.

I've just realized I don't want to mess with it (for several reasons). I like hunting without it.....and I've been mildly successful.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

some parts of wisconsin banned baiting but do you know how may people probably still bait. the dnr cant prove that people are baiting. i hunt over an apple tree and the dnr consider that thats baiting deer because im hunting over a pile of food. theres something wrong with the wisconsin dnr
Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

it absolutely hurts your chances
Ok then?[&:] If you say so. Just find it comical with the number of deer killed over bait in my area, knowing these guys knowledge of deer...you're saying take away their corn pile and they have better odds?
Over an extended period of time yes. Baiting a is a quick fix for harvesting a deer. Year round baiting is one of the worst things you can do in regards to your deer herd because it increases disease transimission, deer are feeding in their own defecation and urine, it usually negatively affects their digestive system (their have been dead deer found that have a full stomach of corn that starved to death. Why? Because they were conditioned to a certain food source that was not natural) and it detrimental to your habitiat as well. Some forms of deer browse, that are able withstand heavy browsing, rely on browse for regeneration and growth and if they do not receive any browse it can take some species up to 100 years to 'fix themselves.'

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.