Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: baiting

Are you a farmer in the acorn business?
I fail to see the relevance in this question. Acorns are indigenous to even the grounds I placed them on. Using your logic.....the man placing the bait pile is golden.....because he's using a crop that was farm grown to make up his baited area.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, I have a blast. I just get bothered by others determining how society views the sport I love so much. If burnie doesn't mind getting lumped in with the most visible members of the club, that's cool with me.

Guys I am heading to climb my tree on my 30 acre pile soybeans, hunt safe, see ya later.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I am simply pointing out how the elitest attitude is going to ruin the sport. I, as well as Kanga, ChrisW, and others who are bowyers, could cry foul to the highest because it is too easy to kill a deer with a compound. Heck, that is why I went back to trad bows back in the 90s and even started makeing them. I love hunting, but as Germ mentioned, its for enjoyment.So if it bendsyouso much out of shape that you cannot enjoy it because someone else might be doing it easier, thenyoureally needs to analyze why you are hunting in the first place.

Oh yea, and if you are worried about society, let me clue you in on something. If they are agianst hunting, it dont matter. If they dont care, and are not hunters, they dont care.

Not sure how old you are, but back in the 70s and 80s there was a push to keep bows from the field period. To much room for mistakes. Heck, there was even a push to ban compounds. Society is the least of our worries. Our fellow hunters are our biggest problems.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Germ, I have a blast. I just get bothered by others determining how society views the sport I love so much. If burnie doesn't mind getting lumped in with the most visible members of the club, that's cool with me.
We do a great job ourselves of throwing each other unders the bus

Way I look at it is this:

At the end of the day when a hunter kills a deer, he may have killed by

baiting
foodplot
funnel
scrape
called in
ambushed
etc

whatever method the hunter use, the deer is still dead The challenge does not make a deer deader. if the hunters is happy with his deer, then who cares.

In all honsty the non-hunting public really does not care what we do, they really don't.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

baiting
foodplot
funnel
scrape
called in
ambushed
etc

whatever method the hunter use, the deer is still dead The challenge does not make a deer deader. if the hunters is happy and with his deer, then who cares.

In all honsty the non-hunting public really does not care what we do, they really don't.
Excellent post.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

baiting
foodplot
funnel
scrape
called in
ambushed
etc

whatever method the hunter use, the deer is still dead The challenge does not make a deer deader. if the hunters is happy and with his deer, then who cares.

Dead on Germ. It's the hollier than thou attitudes amoung ourselves that blows my mind. Ben actually used the worde "loathe" That speaks volumes to me. It's sad really.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Are you a farmer in the acorn business?
I fail to see the relevance in this question. Acorns are indigenous to even the grounds I placed them on. Using your logic.....the man placing the bait pile is golden.....because he's using a crop that was farm grown to make up his baited area.

INTENT

Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

What about micro food plots that are so popular? Ive seen a guy berate baiting, yet sets on miniture clover plots that allow him a shot at any point of entrance.

What about Decoys? Not much sport there. What about doe in heat urine? Not much sport there. Shoot, why a compound bow? if you want a challange, get you a self bow. Or better yet, make you a bow and go kill your deer with it. I do it, its much more difficult. So I guess I am allowed to berate everyone on this board.

Here is a bamboo backed Osage bow I built this year and shot most of my deer with this season.

And a few hogs

Or how about a yew recurve I built several years ago.

Both hogs and the doe were shot during a still hunt. So i guess i can be an elitest. All of you who buy your bows, hunt from a tree, or use scents or Decoy are unethical and I simply loath you.

Oh the Irony just makes me laugh.

Some of you guys really need to enjoy what you do and not get bent out of shape at what other do. But then agian, hunters wont quit hateing each other until we kill the whole sport.
Good one Burnie, you have exposed yourself, with photographic evidence as a .......(gasp!).....Pretender!![:-]

Everyone knows that a true elitist doesn't use aluminum arrows with (gasp!) METAL broad heads!! They don't live in houses constructed with man made materials either! They use wood arrows, stone broad heads and live in huts constructed out of animal skins which were sewn together with sinew and porcupine quill, or maybe stones and mud. You're busted! [8D]

Besides that, you've been out of the loop on the Bow hunting forum for too long........Just this week (earlier) we all got through this elitism crisis by deciding that to be a good hunter you must be proficient with your weapon of choice. This includes, guns (all kinds), bows (all kinds), spears, knives, catapults and bare hands. Therefore, it is a given that ALL of us are proficient with any weapon that we choose to use because we are all good hunters. We also decided that it's really all about the hunt, not the weapon.

Come join us!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

INTENT
Again....is the guy hunting the artificial ag crop's INTENT not to lure the deer into bow range via the crop he's sitting over?

What's his intention....if not that?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

INTENT
Again....is the guy hunting the artificial ag crop's INTENT not to lure the deer into bow range via the crop he's sitting over?

What's his intention....if not that?
Call me crazy but, isn't it all of our intentions to kill deer when we hunt? [&:].

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.