Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What you loathe is called "poaching" in your state.

How do you feel about hutners in states where it's legal, Ben? No wrong answer. I respect your opinion.

I've done it, here. I hunted almost the entire '05 season over bait. I never killed a deer, that year. Only when I moved away from the bait did I start to find success.....and find the way I wanted to hunt these animals. I put out bait, yesterday. I had raked up a bunch of acorns from my yard and placed them in a woodlot I'm taking the guy who painted the house into in the morning. I won't even take a bow.....and I'm not sure what I did is even technically "baiting" (nto that it matters, here). Doesn't matter, to me. I hope he nails a slammer.

If I lived in a state wher eit was illegal.....and people were doing it (baiting)....Id hate that, too. No arguments, here.
I guess the honest answer is "indifferent." I supplement my deer outside of the season and the 30 days before. When the snow is heavy on the mountain, I bring ear corn. I also have protein blocks out almost year round. SOOOO, in regards to legal baiting, I still loathe the hunter that dumps out a bag of corn the same day or the day before. (if that is his "total game plan") I guessI have no problem with guys in baiting states that go about it in a more herd healthy and methodical way. Like you said, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around it. Gots respect for what you do and have done in a baiting state.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Site Buck Guru

I just don't feel that it's ethical to put out a pile of corn that can in no occur naturally in the environment
Do you hunt indigenous ag fields?

So the difference in a corn field and a bait pile is the size of the pile?
in·dig·e·nous

var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "60", "18", "", "6");
interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false");
interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high");
interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false");
interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t");
interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictiona ry%2Faudio%2Fahd4%2FI%2FI0106300.mp3");
interfaceflash.write();

(Ä*n-dÄ*j'É™-nÉ™s) Pronunciation Key
adj.
[*]Originating and living or occurring naturally in an area or environment. See Synonyms at native.[*]Intrinsic; innate. [/ol]
I have never seen an idigenous corn field. A farmer has always planted the ones I've seen.

I'd also say that there is quite a bit of difference between a 40 acre corn field and a bait pile.

A corn field is usually planted for grain to provide feed for domestic animals.

A bait pile is planted to attract deer so they can be shot.

A bait pile will concentrate deer within range of the hunter.

A corn field may or may not concentrate deer within range of the hunter.

If you are referencing the corn field as a food plot provided for deer. Again, it may or may not attract deer with range of the hunter. If it is small enough it will increase the odds for the hunter to have a deer within range. Therefore.......Yes ..... the difference between a food plot and a bait pile is the size. The bait pile will afford the hunter the greatest chance at having a deer come into range.

The bait pile will not offer the deer any lasting nutritional value after the season as the food plot would either. Food plot = dual purpose.... Bait pile= single purpose.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I just don't feel that it's ethical to put out a pile of corn that can in no occur naturally in the environment
Do you hunt indigenous ag fields?

So the difference in a corn field and a bait pile is the size of the pile?

And all along I thought:

1. Farmers planted corn in fields so that they could harvest in order to feed their livestock and sell it on the open market in order to make money to make a living. They attempt to maximize their harvest = income by leaving as little corn as possible left on the ground. However, the harvest process is an imperfect system which leaves residual corn and by-products scattered randomly for wildlife to eat. Some hunters take advantage of this imperfect process by strategically setting up stands or blinds around trails in which they believe wildlife will enter these fields. Some of the more successful hunters may also have had the ability to take time to scout these areas in order to determine if there was a pattern to where the deer entered the field - thus again strategically placing their stands or blinds.

The intention of the corn in this situtation was for the farmer to make a living / career / lifestyle - the result provided an opportunity for a hunter to take advantage of this situation. (Is this an unfair advantage? - you decide)

2. Baiters (who bait with corn) intentionally place strategic piles of corn in areas where it will optimize their success for killing a deer (or other animal). They may set up their stands or blinds first, in trees and areas that they want the deer to come close to - and then place the pile close by.

The intention of the corn in this situation was to kill a deer. (Is this an unfair advantage? - you decide)

3. Food Plots? - (What is the intention? - Is this an unfair advantage - you decide).

I really do not care if hunters (purposefully) bait or not, unless they bait where it is illegal.
As you can see from the above - my definition of baiting comes down to what the original intention of the food source was.
So to me, that is the difference.

Be safe, be ethical, be lawful and continue to promote hunting for the next generation.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

AFter reading Greg's post, I would like to add something. This year was the first year I had access to hunt crop fields, mainly one 30 acre bean field. Exactly once, in this field did I have a shot at a buck and that was just because the doe decided to run my way. I have sets in 6 spots all around this field. Pile the beans up and set a stand 15 yards off, and tell me it's the same, I'll say you a liar.[8D]
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The intention of the corn in this situation was to kill a deer. (Is this an unfair advantage? - you decide)

3. Food Plots? - (What is the intention? - Is this an unfair advantage - you decide).
Both Methods are used to kill deer.Food plots are usedto give the hunter an advantage. Stands are placed around them too.................right?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Both Methods are used to kill deer.Food plots are usedto give the hunter an advantage. Stands are placed around them too.................right?
Stands placed around a pile o corn vs stands placed around a 10 to 30 acre field?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stands placed around a pile o corn vs stands placed around a 10 to 30 acre field?
Yes. Let's say you set up on one side of the field and see deer entering the plot from another.....do you move your stand or for the sake of fairness............stay put?

What if the plot is let's say 2-3 acres or 1 acre? Is it the size of the plotonly that matters? What if it's Biologic planted specifically for deer?

What if I buy 500 LBs of corn and use a spreader to cascaed it over several acres...........is that different?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never seen an idigenous corn field. A farmer has always planted the ones I've seen.
That was my point, yes. Corn is an artificial food source for the whitetail no matter how you slice it up.

Therefore.......Yes ..... the difference between a food plot and a bait pile is the size.
I'm neither disregarding the rest of your points nor denying their validity. They are valid. Mine were, too.

The bait pile will not offer the deer any lasting nutritional value after the season as the food plot would either.
Disagree....unless your farmers leave their corn in the fields all season long and don't harvest it. If a person is supplemental feeding/baiting....and does so all year long....I'd say he's doing MORE to offer the deer a lasting nutritional value.

The intention of the corn in this situation was to kill a deer.
Do we really believe the hunter hunting a corn field edge is not intending to use the corn's presence in his situation to aid in the taking of a deer? You decide.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

What about micro food plots that are so popular? Ive seen a guy berate baiting, yet sets on miniture clover plots that allow him a shot at any point of entrance.

What about Decoys? Not much sport there. What about doe in heat urine? Not much sport there. Shoot, why a compound bow? if you want a challange, get you a self bow. Or better yet, make you a bow and go kill your deer with it. I do it, its much more difficult. So I guess I am allowed to berate everyone on this board.

Here is a bamboo backed Osage bow I built this year and shot most of my deer with this season.

And a few hogs

Or how about a yew recurve I built several years ago.

Both hogs and the doe were shot during a still hunt. So i guess i can be an elitest. All of you who buy your bows, hunt from a tree, or use scents or Decoy are unethical and I simply loath you.

Oh the Irony just makes me laugh.

Some of you guys really need to enjoy what you do and not get bent out of shape at what other do. But then agian, hunters wont quit hateing each other until we kill the whole sport.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Yes. Let's say you set up on one side of the field and see deer entering the plot from another.....do you move your stand or for the sake of fairness............stay put?

What if the plot is let's say 2-3 acres or 1 acre? Is it the size of the plotonly that matters? What if it's Biologic planted specifically for deer?

What if I buy 500 LBs of corn and use a spreader to cascaed it over several acres...........is that different?
You bet I do, BUT with a bait pile you don't have too right? All I am saying is that there is a huge difference between field/ food plot hunters and bait pile/ feeder hunters. Thefirst has alot more ground to cover and room for error.

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.