Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Also Tim....what you'll find is....the people who are most against baiting live in states where it's illegal....and they have NO first-hand knowledge of the practice. I'd say they were ignorant....but that sounds a bit inflammatory. Ill-informed, yeah.

Everybody wants to think what they want to.....because I suppose it makes them feel superior in some way....if they can tear the other guy's means/methods down.

I posted a study that was performed a couple years ago in SC. It proved that baiting actually led to LESS harvest % success, there. People can turn a blind eye to that all they want to.....but doing so on emotion and not fact is only perpetuating the ignorance. That's called denial.
I hunt in ND where baiting is legal...I have never baited and I never will

As far as experience...I know hunters around there that have much more success when they baitvs when they don't. I know a guy that dumps truck loads of sugar beats into river bottoms andhas shotP&Y bucks 3 out of the last 4 years on these piles. He has never been able to shoot a P&Y when NOT using bait.

Honestly you have to be somewhat ignorant to say there is no difference between a 160 acre field of cornvs a pile of food.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Lol. Just getting involved in the pissing contest. Didnt want to upset anyone, so I am playing sybil.
There are other ways to jump in the game. You could post a picture that depicts someone in a negative manner. You could divert people attention to physical flaws or make fun of thier family.

Why beat up on yourself. You just get hurt and it scares people.
Im into self loathing this morning. Ive got some time off, so im just killing time being a smart elick.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

deleted
Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bait.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Are there anyhunters in the theatre tonight
Get'em up against the wall
There's one in the spotlight
He don't look right to me
Get him up against the wall
And that one looks like he is wearing camo
And that one's using urine
Who let all this riff-raff into the room
There's one hunting a plot
And another with spots
If I had my way
I'd have all of you shot

How I love Pink Floyd.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I just don't feel that it's ethical to put out a pile of corn that can in no occur naturally in the environment
Do you hunt indigenous ag fields?

So the difference in a corn field and a bait pile is the size of the pile?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Burnie....I was gonna hand one of these out earlier.....but he already owns one.

I'll be passing out these as this thread unfolds. I know there'll be one going to PA

Put me down for one. I will admit it. I loath baiting, particularly the knucklehead that do it illegally. Maybe you're right Jeff, the reason that I despise it IS because it's illegal here in PA, and I see jerks running out of Gander with bags of corn and Deer Cane two days before rifle season. (Bugs the **** out of me)

As for the comparison to food plots, I get offended there too. Please don't lump me in with baiters who simply buy bags of corn, when I am out there in March clearing more trees and then in April tilling, and then all summer beating back ferns so my new plantings can get sunlight. It's just not the same.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Burnie....I was gonna hand one of these out earlier.....but he already owns one.

I'll be passing out these as this thread unfolds. I know there'll be one going to PA

GMMAT, that is AWESOME!!!!!!! Can I have one?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

What you loathe is called "poaching" in your state.

How do you feel about hutners in states where it's legal, Ben? No wrong answer. I respect your opinion.

I've done it, here. I hunted almost the entire '05 season over bait. I never killed a deer, that year. Only when I moved away from the bait did I start to find success.....and find the way I wanted to hunt these animals. I put out bait, yesterday. I had raked up a bunch of acorns from my yard and placed them in a woodlot I'm taking the guy who painted the house into in the morning. I won't even take a bow.....and I'm not sure what I did is even technically "baiting" (nto that it matters, here). Doesn't matter, to me. I hope he nails a slammer.

If I lived in a state wher eit was illegal.....and people were doing it (baiting)....Id hate that, too. No arguments, here.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Legal in Fla. on privite land. When I was in a club we did it on every plot we had. Then sat in a shooting house. Saw lots of deer. You still needed to put in LOTS of time to kill a decent deer.

The woods in the south are way different than the woods in the Mid West or NE. Acres upon Acres of planted pines, no Ag fields in Hunting club areas or on the public lands. Deer Move, Bed and eat Anywhere / Everywhere. A food plot or feeder down here is like a river bottom or pinch point in the mid-west.

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.