Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who knows? If not, take a guess! >

Who knows? If not, take a guess!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who knows? If not, take a guess!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who knows? If not, take a guess!

Can't be that bad rthe way some bow companies advertise. I have a friend that owns a bow shop. He's small, but he can under cut any other shop in town for new bows and thats with a 40% mark up.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

His was reply was...

"If I told you, I'd have to kill you". I thought we were closer then that! I'll still try and get it out of him.

What a great guy! [:-]

Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sandilands

Can't be that bad rthe way some bow companies advertise. I have a friend that owns a bow shop. He's small, but he can under cut any other shop in town for new bows and thats with a 40% mark up.
He's buying them off the black market then or stealing them off the loading docks. Even if he isn't figuring his true cost of sale into that figure (cost of bow, rent/mortgage, payroll, electric bill, insurance, etc), if he's undercutting other dealers he's not seeing 40%. Trust me, I worked in a shop and saw the invoices from the factory on all the new bows.

The dealersreally make a LOT less $$$ than you guys may think. I have no idea on the manufacturers, but I suspect it's a lot lower than you think there too. I imagine their margin is significantly less than the shops even. I used to want to own and run a shop until I realized this, I may still do it someday but it won't be because I want to make money doing it. If I'm ever financially stable enough to retire and need something to do to keep me occupied.......it might be an OK option then. I wouldn't want to try and raise a familydoing it though.

Just some food for thought for you guys...............

I worked for a shop for 2x years, one of the larger and more successful shops in a fairly populated area that is a bowhunting only zone. It took them about a$250k out of pocket startup cost, and 70 hours a week for the owner alone..............to make less profitthan I did with my first job out of college. No one is getting rich in this business.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know, but I ain't saying. It isn't a dollar figure either. It's a percentage.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am guessing $349.767876789 cents on average.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm lost, are you asking markup on a new bow or cost to make the bow? Neither one would be that high IMO. Just like most sales, the money is made long term, ie accessories, service, referrals, etc.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

No one is getting rich in this business.
Dealer wise? Ill agree. My dealer always tells uswhatever money he makesis in the accessories, not the bows.
Manufacturer wise? HA....they aren't doin this for nothing.