Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody ever taken >

Anybody ever taken

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever taken

Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever taken

I take insulated camo coveralls (one size too big), rolled up and attached to my stand. Got them on sale after hunting season for less than $50. Once I get in the tree and start cooling down I just unroll them and pull them on. Stay nice and warm but our temps don't get as low as some of you other guy's temps
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd look into buying some wind proofing material as well.. I used to be able to get camo gore-tex fabric in 4' rolls... still have some laying around i think... that would be ideal to put over top of a sleeping bag...

One thing w/ the electically heated suits... what happens when your batteries die? do they make ones w/ solar panel attachments?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies...some guys on AT told me that all they do is use a big sleeping bag and just stand up in it and they don't alter it at all in the leg area..just stand on the bottom of it when it is time to stand. I am sure it would work fine. Any tips on how to camo a drab colored sleeping bag and mimic an open camo pattern like predator/sticks and limbs/skyline horizen..without using spray paint?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

NOPE, I use undies, and a couple more layers of undies if needed, up to including 2 smart Wools, then wool shirts, heavy socks, wool outerwear, heavy boots and if need be boot blankets. Then of course there are always chemical heat packs and all the frills. I'm a big enough bundle and then add all the clothes, well there's no room for a sleeping bag. LOL I wouldn't worry about the legs as much as I'd worry about the trunk if I were you.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Guys, laugh all you will but I suffered for years freezing my butt off. My wife got me the Heater body suit 4 years ago for my birthday and I love it. I maybe use it 5-6 times a year when it is 20 degrees and windy, but on those days it is fantastic. I
LOL... 20 degrees, heck, I'm still wearing cotton in the 20s. Well maybe my light weight wools for snuggleness. LOL What would you ever do in minus temps?[8D] Don't come North Reb.... don't come North. LOL
Old 12-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

A guy I used to work with made one out of a military sleeping bag after I told him about my Heater Body Suit. I was in need of some new cold weather clothing when I got mine so I paid about the same as a good coat and bibs. I like being able to walk in the woods with light clothing on and not overheating. I have never been cold in my suit, this is my 3rd year for it. I only hunt from a treestand and with the legs in it I have plenty of mobility. If I did not need new clothing I would have probably tried to make my own. But I am very happy with mine.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Thanks for the replies...some guys on AT told me that all they do is use a big sleeping bag and just stand up in it and they don't alter it at all in the leg area..just stand on the bottom of it when it is time to stand. I am sure it would work fine. Any tips on how to camo a drab colored sleeping bag and mimic an open camo pattern like predator/sticks and limbs/skyline horizen..without using spray paint?
Buy a couple/few yards of the camo fabric of your choice, cut it to shape and sew it on.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

an extra large $25.00 camo sleeping bag..cut it straight up the middle approx 2 1/2 ft from the feet area, sewn each side you cut to make legs, put a couple of shoulder straps in it, and made your own heaterbody suit? Just curious.. I like the idea..but $300 for a $25 sleeping bag...well..looks easy to make. Post pics please.
No.. but I used to build forts out of a couple sleeping bags and my bunk beds with my brother when I was a kid.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Taco [8D]I forgot about Ivan making that one. HCH, i still work with the guy he speaks of, ill ask him how its panning out when i see him again
ORIGINAL: Tuco

A guy I used to work with made one out of a military sleeping bag after I told him about my Heater Body Suit. I was in need of some new cold weather clothing when I got mine so I paid about the same as a good coat and bibs. I like being able to walk in the woods with light clothing on and not overheating. I have never been cold in my suit, this is my 3rd year for it. I only hunt from a treestand and with the legs in it I have plenty of mobility. If I did not need new clothing I would have probably tried to make my own. But I am very happy with mine.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I haven't. My girlfriend and I zipped our sleeping bags together once and we stayed real warm.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.