Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it really that much better?? >

Is it really that much better??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

Numbers don't lie and cannot be argued against...these are a little outdated however. I know my state, MN, has trended downward on this list in recent years

Listed below are states with their respective ratio’s (odds) of taking a Pope & Young buck. These statistics were calculated from the 23rd recording statistical period summary book published by the Pope & Young club.
Pope & Young Bucks entered to Bowhunting Licenses Sold ratio (2001)

State

Bowhunting Licenses Sold 2001

Pope &Young bucks entered 2001

Ratio

1. Iowa
1 - 235

2. Kansas
1 - 255

3. Nebraska
1 - 408

4. Illinois
1 - 418

5. South Dakota
1 - 429

6. Wisconsin
1 - 719

7. North Dakota
1 - 944

8. Minnesota
1 - 1,125

9. Oklahoma
1 - 1,210

10. Indiana
1 - 1,264

11. Maryland
1 - 1,540

12. Ohio
1 - 1,649

13. Texas
1 - 1,704

14. Massachusetts
1 - 1,769

15. Montana
1 - 1,785

16. Missouri
1 - 1,846

17. Connecticut
1 - 2,285

18. Arkansas
1 - 2,500

19. New York
1 - 2,965

20. Delaware
1 - 3,500

21. Virginia
1 - 3,732

22. New Jersey
1 - 4,071

23. North Carolina
1 - 4,230

24. Rhode Island
1 - 4,371

25. Georgia
1 - 4,605

26. Pennsylvania
1 - 4,664

27. West Virginia
1 - 4,666

28. Kentucky
1 - 4,723

29. Wyoming
1 - 5,669

30. Mississippi
1 - 5,863

31. Louisiana
1 - 8,000

32. Michigan
1 - 8,507

Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good post Cooter!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it is that much better.

A guy will hunt a state such as PA, NC, AL, FL, TN, KY,___(fill in the blank) and they get frustrated. They are hunting average hunting grounds like everyone else. Then said person will take a trip out of state, but here is the kicker...when they come to the promised lands to hunt, they don't hunt normal hunting grounds like the majority of hunters living there do....they go with a big wig outfitter who has access to 30,000 acres in the Golden Triangle of prime time land managed for huge bucks...and huge bucks they see. They go from hunting standard lands to hunting the mother load of all managed farms to hunt, and attribute the difference to state lines. They return to home state, and tell everyone how much people in IL, KS, IA, __, etc have it made, huge bucks behind every tree.

I have all over the southeast and I have been fortunate enough to take some pretty good deer. I was also forunate enough when I was younger to have friends with money that allowed me to hunt some of the best properties in the midsouth. I am talking HIGH dollars clubs that had excellent management programs and $2500 fines for killing bucks under 125etc. and I can unequivocally that on every trip I have taken to the midwest that I have seen more deer, more bucks, and more big bucks in one week that I ever have in any season at home. The hunts I did were week leases for $850 (3 of them) all the property owner did was say "here are the property lines" and the other one was just a hunt with some buddies that have permission (along with several other guys). Now you guys know how much ground leases for and hunts go for in Illinois so does is sound like to you I was hunting golden whitetail paradise or does it sound like I was hunting ground none of the big outfitters felt like it was worth their time or money to lease? Not a buck behind every tree by any means and several of the guys that hunted with me over the years have come home empty handed. Who knows maybe I'm just real lucky and deer flock to me when I go there. But I have cetainly been successful and I have never gone on a guided or outfitted hunt.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think one think that's being missed in this argument is terrain.

In the midwest you have a predominant wind that varries very little combined with a mostly flat landscape broken by fields and woodlots. You hope to find the bedding area and the feeding area and a well used travel corridor between the two and go from there. Ill, OH, KS, Iowa, and many othe midwest states off this type of terrain.

VA, MD, WV, PA ad many more eastern states offer greater challenges with the landscape before you even consider the food, pressure, state laws, bag limits ect.

Hell insouthern WV there are 4-5 countines that have absolute monsters. There has not been a gun season in 4 of themfor over 40 years....maybe 50? People do not flock to this area to hunt because even though there are a lot of Big Bucks, they are hard to hunt in the big steep hills. Bedding areas ar not as defined, and finding a fresh food source that the deer are currently using is a tall task. It is totally different there. You might hunt for a week and not even see a Deer............don't mean they are not there.........The could have been less than 50 yards away and you would never see them...[&:].

Yeah, big bucks are in every state andyes some states have more than others. Some states are easier to kill them in too.... that's the reason most take trips to the midwest when looking for a slammer.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what would happen if you took every hunter on the east coast, and every hunter on the west coast, and had them all switch places? [:-]
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

So what would happen if you took every hunter on the east coast, and every hunter on the west coast, and had them all switch places? [:-]
Nothing. It's the middle that matters man...........LOL!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Landon,
Not even inside VA are things all the same. I've hunted from one end of the state to the other and if you've ever hunted in Isle of Wight County or Southhampton County you will see tons of deer. I hunted a place for years in IoW Co. and I've seen over a hundred deer in one day!! Mostly does and young bucks but I've seen some bucks walking with rocking chairs on their heads. During summer and early bowseason we saw lots of movement during early evenings and mid-mornings (filming in summer). I don't hunt dogs but I will say that the surrounding farms were hunted hard with dogs and it made deer move all day long, even if the dogs weren't on them. The dog hunters were "brown down" types but the swamps and pine thickets made it possible for the bucks to circle endlessly and never be seen by the road hunting dog types so there were some bucks with age on them. When hunting there I'd have my weapon in one hand and a sandwich in the other during lunch because you just never knew. Now it's not like that everywhere but there are some sweet spots in VA. I live in the mountains now and I see deer movement often, usually several does. So it could be just the area you're hunting. But I do understand your question and think it does have to do with expectations causing a lot of guys in the midwest to pass on younger bucks, thus creating a older age structure of deer. If we passed on bucks, as a whole, in VA like they do out west we'd have more 125" bucks running around that we'd be willing to pass on. The key is age and keeping doe:buck ratio down so the does don't over browse the area and put stress on population.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

I and three others are going to Hampton Kentucky for a week of bowhunting with a smaller outfitter that doesn't charge as much. But were going to hunt land that will bejust as good as the golden triangle in my opinion, or good enough for me. From what i hear and readKentucky is a sleeper state for good bucks that is why i'm going.

My John Deere store is doing a Big Buck Pole Contest in relation to Q-1 Video Network, www.q1video.com . I can tell you that there are some big bucks that are being harvested this year. I'm impressed with the ones that i'm scoring for the contest (check the website out)
Anyways my point is that even michigan is putting out some good deer. We have all the right ingrediants like Illinois. Southern Michigan has ALOT of deer, no problem there, but not enough people letting the potential ones live anothe year or two. I believe the bowhunters in majority are practicing Deer management, there are too hunters still shooting the first brown thing that comes into range.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

But look at it this way Matt...how many years have you hunted IL? How many mature bucks have you taken? Which state was your biggest buck from? (I don't know these answers, not loaded questions)
Ive hunted Illinois for a total of 6 weeks spread over 4 seasons........I've taken ZERO "mature" bucks. LOL but I've also SEEN literally dozens with no good shot opportunities. Hell I saw a 150-160" 10 pt the first AM of the first day I ever hunted in Illinois on a DIY hunt. LOL To that point in PA I had never seen even one in 20 full seasons.

Ok so I killed my biggest buck in PA, the ONLY P&Y deer I have ever seen on the hoof in PA in my life and I killed him........statictical anomoly that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. [8D]

What you also have to realize is that for 4 seasons in IL plus Nebraska I have passed up handfuls of deer that would have been my best to date by far hoping for a gagger........deer I would have emptied my quiver at and lept from my stand to kill with my bare hands in PA if need be.

The odds tell me I need to be hunting out there.
I honestly feel like I should/would be putting down a solid P&Y buck where we hunt in Illinois probably every other or every 3rd year.........in PA I have only SEEN the one I killed last year.

We have roughly 1,000,000 licensed hunters here, probably 3/4 of them still have a "buck" tag come rifle season which is a 2 week 3pts to a side, plus we're gonna kill every button buck that walks by, free-for-all.......vs 2 short shotgun seasons in a state where you'll get made fun of for shooting a 1.5yr old?
There's no comparison that can be made between PA and a state like Illinois or Iowa beyond we both have whitetail deer.
Points all valid and taken. I think that ties back into hunter's attitudes more than anything (what I struggle with here locally). Is IL managed THAT much better with that much more potential, or is it the attitude of hunters?

If PA hunters had the mindset of IL hunters...would the hunting be similar after 3-4 years?

Like I said, Antler wise? No doubt they can grow bigger where there are unlimited food resources, good cover, and good genetics....but the number of mature bucks has nothing to do with that, it's all in the hunting season's structure, and the overall attitude of hunting.

The more I think about it, the more Im starting to believe the attitude of the hunting masses is the number one factor into how good the deer hunting is, big bucks speaking...Big picture here, not a single farm, a state or at the very least a county's area.
That is the key. I grew up hunting in Northern Indiana and it was a totally a brown and down mind set. I moved to and started hunting Southern Illinois in 2000 and was blow away by the deer I was seeing and the deer other guys passed up. Indiana went to a 1 buck per year rule and it has totally changed hunting in Indiana. I go back home and hunt the family farm and see just as many good bucks there (if not more) than I do on the 1,000+ private acres I hunt in Southern Illinois.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

In the midwest you have a predominant wind that varries very little combined with a mostly flat landscape broken by fields and woodlots.
True to a degree, unless you hunt the big river bottoms where the wind can and will switch back and forth in seconds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.