Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it really that much better?? >

Is it really that much better??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You can not argue the math. For those who don't know Jeff and I had a little contest this year. I took 10 hunters from "non" location states, Jeff took ten hunters from "location" states. I lost, LOL but not by much.
That's BS.

You lost by a LOT (if you'd play by the rules you agreed to). I think you'll end up losing by 500", at least.
Those rules are bust though, the big buck state hunters are allowed to count deer from little buck states, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the contest? Just sayin.
Being it was a buckeye who screwed me, it's not a big suprise To be honest those 124 points really are not going to change diddle[8D]
Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vabowman

It is my opinion, that for the most part bucks in heavily hunted areas still use funnels, and cruise doe bedding areas, they just do so much more at night compared to those that live in less pressured places. Also, they may not follow QUITE as textbook of a pattern as other non-pressured deer because otherwise they’d be dead. And while pressured areas still may have big bucks, I’d be hard pressed to believe there are as many as in unpressured areas. It’s a combination of a numbers game, along with behavior.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 AM

rybo, so basically it's common sense I guess.. the more big bucks or even deer you have in the, the more your chances go up of seeing them ...what do you think will get a big buck on his feet say in the late bow season?? during gun season or after gun season?? is it possible that you can see them and get a crack them or pretty much luck??
Old 12-05-2008, 07:09 AM

The main reason I go to Illinois is because their rut is so well defined compared to our's here in MS. The properties I hunt in IL aren't that much better than what I hunt here in MS, the difference is the rut. The bucks simply move A LOT more in daylight hours.

In addition to that, hunting farmland is easy. It's no big secret how the deer will use the terrain to move from point A to point B.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone says food gets them up in the late season. Guys putting on drives may help as well.
For where I hunt, there is a better chance of me hitting the lottery than getting a big buck in the late season. I have no food sources, and there are too many pockets of posted land with the food that they move to. Plus I still think they go back to being almost entirely nocturnal, unless it would be an insanely harsh start to winter. Which might be happening this year in PA.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'd also like to note that within the next year I'm gonna try to make a trip to Kansas or Iowa to hunt whitetail.

Now.. I'm not stupid enough to point at my globe and say.. "Iowa is great and full of big bucks.. I'll just go here". And point to anywheresville Iowa.

I'm gonna research. Ask Q's to those who live and hunt there.. and get the best knowledge I can of that state... that region.. that county.. that township I want to be.

I don't want to go to Iowa. I want to go to a piece of heaven in Iowa.

Does that make more sense for some of you.
So where are you going in Iowa? Why aren't you making this trip to Maine, or NY, or Rhode Island? Heck, how about Indiana or Vermont? People can talk all they want, we know why people go to Iowa, it's not because they're better hunter there. It's not becauses the price is right. Why are you going to Iowa. Yes Dorothy, the grass is a different color there.
It's called an example Mr Mil. You know what that is.. right?

If I was going to New Jersey.. I wouldn't just say I'm going to New Jersey.. I'd find the town I'm going to in New Jersey... and then right down to the farm.

Again.. I'm not saying Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, WI, Ky, OH, IN.. are not greater states to hunt because of there gene pools. What I'm saying is.. Illinois is NOT at all like the western portion of the state. And it doesn't matter what state you hunt.. it matters to your location within that state that you can hunt.
Yep...the Southeastern part of IL is WAY better, for those who have hunted it, you guys can have the golden triangle.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Everyone says food gets them up in the late season. Guys putting on drives may help as well.
For where I hunt, there is a better chance of me hitting the lottery than getting a big buck in the late season. I have no food sources, and there are too many pockets of posted land with the food that they move to. Plus I still think they go back to being almost entirely nocturnal, unless it would be an insanely harsh start to winter. Which might be happening this year in PA.
This year I am swimming in food

20 acres Clover
45 acres Alfafa
30 Acres Winter wheat

If there was a year to do it, this is it In 24 years I have had 2 really good chances a mature buck in Dec.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 AM

see rybo that's the problem here in Va, oh they do drives alright! 100 hounds on them will get them on the hoof!! I hunt this way every saturday from Nov 15th to Jan 3rd...no problems with it, I enjoy it, but if you are lucky to have a few places where dogs are not used and never get to the places, then the deer should move more freely I would assume, but it just doesn't seem to happen...do you think in IL or IA or anywhere in the midwest, the deer still move after the rut in daylight hrs, or is it just like here?? Do deer move there in early Oct or are they just like here where you have to catch them moving and not sit and know that they are coming??
Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trust me Rybo, as someone with the private land that is posted, has plots everywhere, and not pressured at all during gun season........the does/dinks move during daylight hours (they don't even do this off our property according to our neighbors), but the 2.5 y/o+ bucks don't. I've never seen a 2.5+ y/o buck that wasn't in heavy cover during daylight at my place outside of the first bow season. As a matter of fact, I've only seen one 2.5+ year old buck during daylight hours after early bow season that wasn't moving from being bumped by a hunter. I don't gun hunt much on this property (maybe one day a season) but it's been 6 years that I've been there, and I do hunt the late archery season hard. I average seeing a 2.5 y/o+ during the early bow season every 2-3 days of hunting, during rifle/late archery seasons I might see 1x 2.5+ y/o buck every other year if I'm lucky and I'm in the middle of the thickest stuff on the property to see them.

When the guns start going off, it's a different game. I know they are there, but this time of year they just don't move unless forced to during daylight........even on the pieces of land that are heavily managed in PA with little to no pressure.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

RJ,

I agree 100%, even though I think they move to the posted land places with food, I still think they go back to being nearly nocturnal and are next to impossible to kill. I think there are very, very few places in this state where the pressure is light enough over a large enough area to keep this from happening. I think it takes much more than one or 2 adjoining farms even with no pressure to make these bucks around here visible in daylight after gun season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.