Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Changing BH's for next year >

Changing BH's for next year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changing BH's for next year

Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Changing BH's for next year

I made the switch to Aftershock Archery Hypershock 125's this year. I was sold on the 2 3/4" diameter, and the devestating pics and video that was on their website. I must say, I have been less than impressed with their performance. The ferrule is aluminum, the blades were not very sharp out of the package (fixed that) and a couple of the heads seemed to be cross threaded. Finally got them tweaked to my liking and hunted with them. I shot a buck in the ribs at 8 yards and got less than 7 inches of penetration. Found the deer close by, but still, no blood= me not happy. Last Saturday I shot a much smaller deer, 25 yards broadside, still only got about 12 inches of penetration. I saw her drop.[&:]My buddys are telling me "Hey, they work, you killed 2 deer." I don't think I'm asking too much for a bloodtrail. Before you ask, I'm shooting 28.5 inch draw, 68lbs, Mathews LX. Full length CX Rebel Hunter arrows, 125 gr head.
I've used Grim Reapers with excellent results, same with Muzzy 100gr 3 blades. I'm swithcing it up next season, not sure what I'll be shooting, but it won't be these.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Changing BH's for next year

I had the same rsults last year with these heads as you state.I jumped on the Rage two blade bandwagon this year and will not look back. hey are everything advertised, large hole, complete pass throughand a blood trail.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Regardless of what bow you are shooting, that is just a lot of resistance to penetration with blades that big. Also with aluminum ferrule, what happens if you hit the shoulder??? Not good.

I think it's a good idea you are making the switch because with your setup, there is no reason you shouldn't be getting passthroughs a majority of the time.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM

I think you don't have enough KE for those big blades. That's just a guess though.

I'm using the HyperShock 100 grain this year, and have been FAR more impressed with those than even the Rage. Their only real negative is a small entry hole. I shot a doe this year, and I put a bad shot on her. Hit her high. Spine. I cut completely through 1 vertabrae, and the arrow stuck in the ground behind her. I will admit though I didn't need to worry about a blood trail on that one, but I could EASILY see the blood from my tree all over the ground. I also shot a yote with one, and that was just.......well.....he never stood a chance. Perfect double lung, blood EVERYWHERE, and he ran 20 yards before piling up.

The big difference I see in our setups is I am shooting 85#'s of KE, and shooting a 2" cut, not a 2 3/4". You need MAJOR KE to get good penetration with that big a knife.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a good turkey broadhead to me.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

I think you don't have enough KE for those big blades. That's just a guess though.

Could be, I was told to shoot the full length logs by my "pro shop" to help with KE. Hard to argue with success, but I'm not pleased with them.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

BBM.....I'm going to purchase a pack of the NAP Hell Razor fixed heads in the off-season and see if I can get them to fly true. If they do.....I'll likely shoot them for '09 (whitetails).

Though the results were great with the rage (kills).....I am troubled when I can't read my arrow at the POI. I'm looking for more pass-thrus.

I'm going to weigh a lot of options, likely.....and I may even look at the shuttle head. The hell razor just appears to be what I'm looking for.

I'll be shooting a lot of them, though.....so keep in touch.[8D]
Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get some muzzy's jeff, you wont regret it!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shuttles, slick tricks and G5's are on my list to look at. I was 100% confident in the Grim Reapers, I might just stick with them.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I've used Grim Reapers with excellent results, same with Muzzy 100gr 3 blades. I'm swithcing it up next season, not sure what I'll be shooting, but it won't be these.

It seems to me like you are not seeing the forest for the trees.
You list two ,that worked very well yet you seek another change?

Quick Reply: Changing BH's for next year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.