Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is an archery professional? >

What is an archery professional?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is an archery professional?

Old 04-07-2003, 10:02 AM

Default RE: What is an archery professional?

c903, it doesn' t work well in print but a friend once told me, after I had been called an expert in my occupational field, that an ' ex' was a has been and a ' spurt' was a drip under pressure. This has nothing to do with your reply, it just brought that fondly back to my mind as that friend is now deceased.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2003, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you folks for expressing your thoughts on the subject (and thanks jag-mag for the vote of confidence though I definitely am not a professional ...at least by my definition of the term).

So, to further add to the discussion, whom would you place more faith in..... a " professional" with little desire to willingly pass on knowledge without some form of personal gain and a limited view of the subject material or an " amateur" who is just the opposite?
Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frank

So, to further add to the discussion, whom would you place more faith in..... a " professional" with little desire to willingly pass on knowledge without some form of personal gain and a limited view of the subject material or an " amateur" who is just the opposite?
Just look here on the board there are a lot of people who have good knowledge on archery then you have the few who have expert knowledge on archery.

But to answer your question I would listen to both sides and then make my judgement.

Remember there is always 2 sides to a coin
Old 04-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you for your thoughts Ausie....and you are absolutely correct. There are two sides to every coin. I am not advocating either but rather just promoting discussion and creative thought on the subject.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:02 PM

As I kept reading these posts for the 1st time, I think Siskyou hit the key topics.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the 70s when I owned 2 archery shops & lanes AND was a Pro in the PAA you could only become a " PRO" IF you met a minimum score in a tournament in the rounds at that time. I don' t remember them now but it was like a 290 average on the 300 round & 500 on the outdoor field-Possible 560, Chicago round & such. Remember-this was b/4 compounds & releases it was finger shooters & Recurve Bows. I managed to post a few Perfect 300 rounds-couple Perfect 560 field scores & 560 animal rounds (unmarked yardage back then) & won a few state championships & a great Lakes sectional. In 45 years of Archery & Bowhunting I have given talks, tips & wrote columns & a little BS to many a Archer, Bowhunter. I currently make informational bowhunting Videos (11 years now) & thou I was & am respected in my community as a Archer & Bowhunter I consider myself just another Bowhunter wanting to always promote the sport in a good maner.
you be the judge if I am a Pro-it is just a word-we are all Archers & Bowhunters doinf what we like in our FREE country. Good Luck to all-oh, If money makes you a pro I guess I am not... My last trophy March 29th-250# Boar with 5" cutters.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

& thou I was & am respected in my community as a Archer & Bowhunter I consider myself just another Bowhunter wanting to always promote the sport in a good maner
...and that is what trully makes you a professional in my opinion ahunter55.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:07 AM

Well I certainly have an opinion on this subject. First of all the what is a pro debate. I am a Golf Professional in central NY. There are a lot of great ideas and answers so far, here' s my opinion. I think most of becoming a pro at your particular field is based on knowledge and education. To me that' s where it really seperates the amatuers from the pros. In my profession for example. There are thousands of amatuer golfers that have the same or better ability than me. They don' t know what a cutworm or chinch bug will do to a bentgrass putting green though. Or do they know how to grow the sport. Or do they know how to host a tournament or fundraiser. Or do they know about Pro Shop margins. Or do they know public relations etc............. My point is this. " pro" is a loose term. Unless it is backed by a structured and rigid education program which is set forth by past commitees that sets the guidelines and deems you as a professional in they eyes of the community. Again in my profession, it took 3 years of an education process in the PGA of America to become certified to be a professional.
Certainly the athletic or ability side of it matters greatly as well. Sorry for sticking on the golf subject here (being this a bowhunting forum), but it' s the best way I can relate to the subject. After completing my education and earning credits by working in a Pro Shop under a class A pro, I then had to prove my abilities before getting my pro status. I had to pass a players ability test for the final stage, which luckily you only have to do once (which i disagree with) and i was young and full of piss and vinegar and did it with ease.
So I guess Education and Ability in the chosen field set forth by a commitee that makes the guidelines for the course you must take to become a pro are my criteria.
Anyone else I suppose could be called " really good" in that field or " experts" . But to lump them in with people that have gone through grueling education and qualifications, is probably not fair. However it is just a title!!
And it is NOT about money!!! It' s about having passion and promoting the sport you love. And most importantly the kids, they are our future and will be continuing our traditions when we' re all old farts. Like Arnold Palmer says : " all you need to be called a golf instructor is have someone that will give you money to listen to what you have to say about the golf swing."
After typing all this I finally get back to bowhunting. Is there a program of such a nature in archery?? Something you go through to become a " pro" ?
Old 04-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am a Golf Professional in central NY
With a name like titleist who would have thought it?

Some good points. Thank you.