Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The speed bow controversy >

The speed bow controversy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The speed bow controversy

Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Default The speed bow controversy

I find it odd how many bowhunters think increased speed is oflittle to noadvantage when bowhunting. I've heard it here and I've heard it in the proshop. Please explain why using a single pin out to 30-40yds is not an advantage. I guess increasing k.e., arrow penetration,and increasing your complete passthrough percentage isn'tbeneficial either.
For those of you that bash today's speed bows (for bowhunting), please enlighten me.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The speed bow controversy

Speed and weight is the ticket for bone crushing shots... and freedom out to 50 yards with a range finder. No Arguments here...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is all relative,speed is fine but you NEVER gain as much as you hope and what you give up often times outways what you gain.[
Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

And there is no such thing as pin point accuracy with 1 pin out to 40 WITHOUT COMPENSATION.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

My former bow shot my target arrow 337fps at 62#'s. If you're shooting one pin out to 30-40 yds.....your idea of "accuracy" and mine are different.

After jumping on the speed bandwagon myself for a while (obviously).....I learned I like drawing, holding, letting off 60#'s a lot more. I actually tried slowing my hunting arrow down on purpose. I love it. More KE....More momentum.....mo better.

Speed is NOT a dirty word, though. It has its' advantages. It has its' pitfalls. Its' greatest aid is the ability to shoot a heavier arrow than its' slower counterparts. A flat(ter) trajectory aids in misjudged yardage, too.

Speed comes at a price. I learend that, too.

I like where I'm at.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I find it odd how many elitist attitudes have made it into hunting.

I shoot a speed bow, I also shoot a recurve. My hunting buddy shoots slow target bows when hunting. I don't think mine is better than his and he doesn't think his is better than mine. We think that we both shoot what fits our needs and wants. There is no controversy unless you are tying to create one.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM

TFOX- Personally, I'd never take a shot on a whitetail out to 40yds. 30yds is my max.
"what you give up often times outways what you gain" Please explain.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM

GMMAT- So you felt like you were sacrificing accuracy. What would you attribute that to?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

And there is no such thing as pin point accuracy with 1 pin out to 40 WITHOUT COMPENSATION.
Agree! But...there will be some that will try to argue this fact.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I never said that, Brian.

Quick Reply: The speed bow controversy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.