Hello everyone, my first time here so I hope this is the right place to post this question. Does anyone have any little secretes on holdingyour pin(s) steady?Thanks in advance for any help I get." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help on holding your pin(s) still.. >

Help on holding your pin(s) still..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help on holding your pin(s) still..

Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help on holding your pin(s) still..

ORIGINAL: Shrek3

Hey, how do you find the avitar, I think thats what you call it isn't it?
www.huntingnet.com

Top of the page click My control Panel, then go to edit profile.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

shoot more! The more you shoot the steadier you will become
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Go to the tech forum. You shouldn't be concentrating on the pins. You have the wrong sight picture. It's OK for pins to wobble.... center the wobble while concentrating on "THE SPOT".

P.S. Stop punching the trigger.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

And isn't anyone breathing when they take a shot ????

In my opinion, your form is a problem, like Kodiak says, try and be as relaxed as possible before you draw, then breath in when you draw back and when you start aiming slowly breath out without stressing the natural way you breath in and out.

Second thing I'd take a look at is when you aim, do you let your pins come up from under or above the target, or even maybe left or right.
What I do is I let my aim or my pin move over the target when I draw and then I gently let it drop just under the spot I picked. Then I just move upwards to the correct spot and release.
Sounds difficult, just try it or different positions.....

F.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Try a few techniques that are applied to shooting a firearm. One of them being control your breathing. A lot people try to hold their breath as they hold the pin/site on the target and all this is going to do is make things worse. When you hold your breath your muscles get tired much faster and you will be all over the place. Take a few deep breaths and when you get about half way through your exhale, let the arrow fly. This will be the point in which your body is doing the least amount of movement and your muscles are relaxed. Good luck, this may not work for you but its worth a shot. (no pun intended...)
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trust your pin float, you should.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Here's something I do to make sure I'm using the minimal amount of effort to hold at full draw. I assume this is common practice: Once at full draw(using proper form), relax to the point that the string wants to travel forward. Then create just enough tension to prevent that from happening. You are then using the least amount of effort to hold at full draw, allowing for a steadier pin andless energy exertion/fatigue. Hope this helps you as it did w/ me.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Spike

on your release hand when you come to full draw place your thumb at the base of your skull, where the muscle meets. try and stay in line with your bone structure so your not relying on muscles. have fun be confident and practice
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a laser pen, tape it to your stabilizer and practice holding the laser steady on a target. Bowhunters don't realize how much they float, until you actually see it with there own eyes with a laser. I agree with the other posts that your pin should float around, but you will be amazed how better you can hold your pins, by practicing with a laser. The first time I tried it, the laser was all over the place. Now, because of practice, I can keep it in a bullseye of a target, without even trying.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

for me ill draw my bow back and get relaxed with the bow drawn, instead of using my left arm to move the bow up and down i use my waist!! it helps me keep steady, plus ive realized that if my left arm isnt relaxed i have pulled the shots alot more also.. so give it a try not everything works for everyone.. jut have to find or invent something that works for you!! what kind of bow do you shoot??