Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt >

Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

My six biggest bucks have fell from Oct. 28 - Nov. 7

Oct. 28
Nov. 4
Nov. 4
Nov. 5
Nov. 5
Nov. 7

Needless to say I am a big fan of hunting the first week of November. The other weeks are good but I typically catch the pre-rut in the first week and see more big deer on their feet at that time. It's always a crap shoot but I have caught it too many times in the past when the bucks were in lock down during the second week of Nov.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Well it would really depend on where you're talking about in Central NY. BUT, that said, this isn't Illinois or Iowa. It's not a balanced herd you're hunting. There are does everywhere and not that many bucks. The rut can be in full swing and you won't see a lot because they'll lock down with a handful and hide. I'd rather go prerut in such a case. The bucks can't find a mate, they're ready, they're trolling and they're looking and receptive to a grunt or two. You're not hunting Illinois, you're hunting NY and a different herd and balance. Yes the rut would be in your middle part of Nov. No, it's not necessarily the time for your best hunting. I'd be going for the last week in Oct as a time to hunt hard. Second choice, the week of the rut because of the full moon screwing you earlier in the month. Rules for one area don't hold true for another state.
I agree.

Also, I believe gun season starts early again next year. You may have to deal with that if you schedule some of the Nov dates.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Without doubt the 11-15th. I'll be in IL that week if not the week after.
I totally agree with you Rob. Only I won't be in Il.[:'(]
I agree also!!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with either the Nov. 6-10 or the 11-15
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it would really depend on where you're talking about in Central NY. BUT, that said, this isn't Illinois or Iowa. It's not a balanced herd you're hunting. There are does everywhere and not that many bucks. The rut can be in full swing and you won't see a lot because they'll lock down with a handful and hide. I'd rather go prerut in such a case. The bucks can't find a mate, they're ready, they're trolling and they're looking and receptive to a grunt or two. You're not hunting Illinois, you're hunting NY and a different herd and balance. Yes the rut would be in your middle part of Nov. No, it's not necessarily the time for your best hunting. I'd be going for the last week in Oct as a time to hunt hard. Second choice, the week of the rut because of the full moon screwing you earlier in the month. Rules for one area don't hold true for another state.
True D but I'm speaking on my experience from not only what I saw in IL this year but what happened in PA as well plus the 27 previous seasons. I've only seen or not seen as the case may be, lockdown past the 15th of Nov. I will always schedule my hunting in PA or anywhere else in the northern hemisphere as close to the 15th of Nov as I can get, give or take. It's been a fact TO ME that the big boys are on their feet at this time. I've had great success as well in the prerut but I've seen more and better bucks closer to the 15th not to mention the biggest days for killing such deer has statistically been the 11-15th. But, he can book his hunt whenever he choses, makes no difference to me but from what I've seen, again I'll push the 15th as much as possible with my vacation time.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

True D but I'm speaking on my experience from not only what I saw in IL this year but what happened in PA as well plus the 27 previous seasons. I've only seen or not seen as the case may be, lockdown past the 15th of Nov. I will always schedule my hunting in PA or anywhere else in the northern hemisphere as close to the 15th of Nov as I can get, give or take. It's been a fact TO ME that the big boys are on their feet at this time. I've had great success as well in the prerut but I've seen more and better bucks closer to the 15th not to mention the biggest days for killing such deer has statistically been the 11-15th. But, he can book his hunt whenever he choses, makes no difference to me but from what I've seen, again I'll push the 15th as much as possible with my vacation time.
Actually i did see a nice 4.5 year old buck get killed on the 15th this year near where we hunt, the guys said they were chasing does... maybe your on to something