Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short ATA Bows?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Short ATA Bows?

Looking for a little help on what the advantages and disadvantages are of having a bow with a short axle to axle length? Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Short ATA Bows?

Shorter ATA makes it easier for manuevering in a treestand or pop-up.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

A short ATA will also make it more difficult to keep the bow steady during the shot. In most cases with a hunting bow you are looking for minute of whitetail accuracy not minute of angle.

I have played the short bow game (33") and found that I simply couldn't get the accuracy that I was used to from a more moderate length righ (36").

Given that, I have never had a manuverability problem with my bow in the treestand or ground blind that was related to the ATA of the bow.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

A short ATA will also make it more difficult to keep the bow steady during the shot. In most cases with a hunting bow you are looking for minute of whitetail accuracy not minute of angle.

I have played the short bow game (33") and found that I simply couldn't get the accuracy that I was used to from a more moderate length righ (36").

Given that, I have never had a manuverability problem with my bow in the treestand or ground blind that was related to the ATA of the bow.
Pretty much nailed it here. A short bow is really nice in the stand, but you do give up some ease of shooting with it. I know a bunch of people shoot short ATA bows and shoot them really well, but they had to learn how to shoot that bow. Not that you don't have to learn every bow, but a bow with a longer ATA is easier to hold without canting.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never really shot any long to moderate ATA bows, but I did win a archery tournament with my short 31" ATA Parker Ultra Lite 31. I won my division and came out 2nd place in the adult division. I really think it just comes down to the shooter when it comes to short ATA bow...

Video: www.YoungSportsman.com
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

good deal guys, thanks a bunch
Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Check out this post on the DXT and it'll give you some of the ups and downs.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3200472&mpage=2&key=&#320209 4
I will say that for my first short ATA bow (and making a BIG leap from 37" to 29.75") it has really impressed me in the amount of precision I've been able to get out of it even out to 60 yards (5-7" fp groups). But I'll qualify that with the fact that I've been shooting compounds for a long time and shot competitively quite a bit. In top shape/form I can squeeze 3-4" groups out of my longer, heavier bows at that distance. Someone starting out isn't going to squeeze that kind of precision out of that torquey light little DXT.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the link and info kodiak; just looking into the 09 bowtech lineup and was trying to figure out the advantages and such of the admiral and the captain in dealing with ata