Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounts

Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mounts

I've recently gotten into taxidermy but have watched my uncle doing it for years. To answer the question about cost per head it is ruffly $125 per deer head my uncle figures with shop cost and materials. He charges $425 and it takes him ruffly 12 hours per head in labor from start to finish. Thats a little more than $20 per hour. Now if you compair that to a metal fabricator or any other custom worker that is low to average wages.... Now this is only my second year doing taixdermy and am only charging $275 due to the fact I'm trying to get a client base and get my work out there. Next year they will go up and eventually I'll be around that $400 mark too once I get enough yearly clients. My uncle has raised prices because he does less heads or the same mount of heads as when he was low pirced and has to do less work and make the same or more money for his time. This allows him to spend alot more time with his family..... I'll throw a few pics of my work on here when I get a chance. WCL
Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of my good friends is a Taxi, he charges $350 for a deer and does great work.

Believe me he isn't getting rich off of it though.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year the prices in S. NH varied from $450-$650 for a quality mount.
The $650 guy in my opion is with out a doubt the best and some people do not care about the price.
Just remember it's part of your decor, kind of like funiture...
If you buy a slapped together piece of furniture, it doesn't look as good and probably won't last as long either.
My mounts are a prized possession, but I chosethe $500 guy this year.I've used him for 23+ years with great results.
The $650 guy was just a little too much for me this year, but I can say the detail is absolutly grand!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sport4

My guy is $200 and will have it back around 2 months later. Be jealous!!!
You must be sleeping with him or something!
Just kidding, I'm being jealous[&:]
Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

They have to send thier kids to college too.
Great answer! Most taxidermists aren't charging enough and are barely making it paycheck to paycheck. They have no retirement plan, no insurance, and no savings. Most have no business sense.I don't know howa full time taxidermistcan charge less than $400 without cutting corners. I only do it as a hobby for friends and family, and I'm still more expensive than what many of you are paying. I just won't lower my quality of life so everyone else can maintain theirs. I have bills and a family too. Taxidermy is still a luxury item. Each person has to decide what it's worth for them.
Amen to that!

Most barely scratch out a living...taxidermy is certainly not a lucrative business for most guys. Yes, there are some that are very good and do very well. BUT, if you figure that the average guy probably charges in the $300-$400 range...if they do 5 heads a week (which is alot) they will gross somewhere between $75k - $100k a year. Take out all the expenses they have for overhead...they ain't left withmuch for the time and effort that is put in.

A good taxidermist that does things right is well worth the money. Don't go cheap --- you get what you pay for. The other thing is most people can't tell a good job from a bad job, they have no idea what they are looking for.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Got a shoulder mount this year $500.25
Old 12-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Sport4

My guy is $200 and will have it back around 2 months later. Be jealous!!!
Word on the street is thatyour taxidermist can charge so little becasue he got a closeout deal on a bunch of oldAfricanZebra forms. Don't be suprised if your mount comes back looking a little horsey[]
Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

our taxidermist will do it between 275 and 300 dollars. he does a pretty nice job too