Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you Butcher your own Meat >

Do you Butcher your own Meat

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you Butcher your own Meat

Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Butchering Meat ___Redo

Wheres the choice for... No, but I want to learn how to.

Guess I'm the first.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: HammytheHunter

Guess I'm the first.
YouTube my friend.You can teach yourself how to do anything with it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HammytheHunter

Guess I'm the first.
Sorry Hammy. It never crossed my mind. Find someone that does it and take your deer and theyll show u how to cut one up.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Double post. Network troubles.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: YooperMike
If I get the blowsh!ts from it,its my own fault!

I just started processing my own deer last year, and I'm getting prettygood at it. I did four last year, and I've already done six this year. I started doing it to save money, and I've already paid for my processing equipment several times over.

I like the idea of de-boning the entire deer without cutting any bonesat all. You end up with smaller steaks that way, but it beats bitinginto a steak from a processor and having your teeth crunch into bone bits from a saw.[:@]
Old 12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing my own for yrs. A few yrs ago I started cutting for other guys too. I now have about 20 customers during the hunting season and I haven't even advertised. Next yr I am.
I make sure that everyone gets there deer...... I do them one at a time. Guys love it. Anoither reason guys like it is b/c I skin for them. They simply shoot, dress and drop off deer. I might even start to offer dressing for guys that bring them in........ at least this way they can see how it should be done. I've also told my customers if they want to mount a deer and don't know how to dress/skin without hurting their mount to bring it in as is. Then they know the job will be right.
Here's my price list. $45 boning out and wrapping. I single wrap w/plastic wrap and then wrap in butchers paper.
$10 skinning fee.
$5 for frozen deer.
If someone wants to come over and watch me do there deer then come on in. Bring a 6 pack.
I have some serious plans for next yr. I'm going to advertise at cabelas and other box stores, all the archery shops and I'm even going to see if Walmart and CDN Tire will let me advertise there.

Oh ya and Euro mounts are $60 a pc. No backing
Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: YooperMike
If I get the blowsh!ts from it,its my own fault!

I just started processing my own deer last year, and I'm getting prettygood at it. I did four last year, and I've already done six this year. I started doing it to save money, and I've already paid for my processing equipment several times over.

I like the idea of de-boning the entire deer without cutting any bonesat all. You end up with smaller steaks that way, but it beats bitinginto a steak from a processor and having your teeth crunch into bone bits from a saw.[:@]
Everything I do is bone-free. Even with the hind quarters you can de-bone them without harming any meat. I agree with you on the bone dust too. Meat processors aren't known for being the most spendy people, so you know that blade is REALLY dull after seeing a few deer, and therby just kind of pulverizing the bone instead of actually cutting it. Nothing to worry about when doing your own. My kitchen-aid does a great job grinding it, and the sausage stuffer works very well too. Saturday I'm doing some sausage with my doe from MI, and also going to smoke two hind quarter roasts. I think I'm going to do one for sliced sandwiches and the other like a pulled beef type deal for tacos. Smoke it for a couple hours alone, then put in a foil pan with onions and some beef broth, let it go another couple hours until shred-able, makes some damn fine meats!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to occasionally bring a deer to the butcher fo $50. The prices have risen considerably since early 2000. I have butchered all of my deer since 2002 or so.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I absolutely do all my deer .... I picked the trust thing, as it's my #1 reason with the $ a close second.

I used to take all the silver skin of the meat I was gonna gring, but that took so long .... I tried not cutting it all out and guess what ...... the silver skin has zero flavor ...so its a non-issue.....
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you Butcher your own Meat

I don't kill many deer but this year I've been lucky enough to get a buck and YES I butchered it myself. I watched a butchering tape a hundred times over the last few years so I was ready. Everything went smoothly and I had great satisfaction knowing that I did it all myself. I boned outeverything. I made steaks, stew chunks, ground meat and even jerky.
I always wanted to do it all from field dressing to freezer. It's easy, free, you get your own deer meat back, and the butcher doesn't get to steal any. It was actually a fun and rewarding thing to do. I hope I'll have the opportunity to do it again next year!

Quick Reply: Do you Butcher your own Meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.