Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story >

23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Old 12-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Ahhh yes.

tjewell71- Pay no mind to the righteous.. he's just piss in the wind.

So you lost a deer and found it days later. And you lost the meat. I'm sorry for that.. I know as a hunter thats the worst feeling on earth and despite what everyone around you says.. you likley wish you could take it all back. But you can't. You have closure and his headgear. Congrats on that anyway.

And for the record.. finding a whitetail a day later.. or 2 days later is NOT like finding a dead carcass on the road.

And someone should really take a walk in another mans shoes first.. before he says it is.

But this threads been interesting to read none the less.

Congrats on the find.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

And you lost the meat. I'm sorry for that..
Nope the meat was donated.[:'(][&:]
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats, very nice buck!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I never (nor did I hear anyone profess) said anythng about mine being a "successful hunt". The bar keeps moving with every post, it seems.

Matt's buck was recovered days after he shot it.....and the meat was not edible.

Greatest story in determination I've ever read, though (regarding a recovery).

My conversation with my GW lasted about ten minutes. After a while Chris just stopped and flat out asked me....

"Jeff....did you kill that deer"? "I mean....if I put you on the stand and asked you if in your heart you killed him....what would you say"?

I tagged the deer. I wouldn't pass judgement on someone else if they didn't. These situations are all different....and they all carry with them extenuating criteria. There is no set protocol....which I learned in this.

"I" followed my heart and my head. I tagged an animal I feel confident died at my hands.

No annointing. No hero photos. No bragging. No spent tags, unwarranted. I just couldn't shoot another one and feel right about it.
Maybe you didn't profess yours to be a successful hunt, but you do seem intent on fighting to declare this hunt a successful one. I'm really confused.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

And you lost the meat. I'm sorry for that..
Nope the meat was donated.[:'(][&:]
Touche. I must have missed that.

I won't ask why the meat was donated.. as I'm no expert on that.

Congrats on the find anyway.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe you didn't profess yours to be a successful hunt, but you do seem intent on fighting to declare this hunt a successful one. I'm really confused.
David:

I won't be baited into an argument with you over this. I gave you full disclosure of the events as they've unfurledd. If you could explain yourself on how I'm trying to profess anything other than what I've stated (successful hunt????).....maybe that'll clear things up for both of us.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice to see that there was an end to the story. Thats for sure! Display him proudly and tell the story like you told us. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Funny my 07' buck was brought up because as I read Jeff's 29 day tale and now this one I actually got to thinking about mine........and where DO you draw the line on it being "Your" deeror nature's to be claimed only as a trinket or final chapter in a story gone wrong.

I DONOT consider my 07' buck kill a 100% successful hunt and I was disgusted that it took me 48hrs to find the deer.(I shot him 10AM Saturday and found him 10AM Monday)I DO however consider it MY buck and one I can say that I took because:

1. The deer obviously died quickly and within 150 yards of the shot (maybe 100yds as the crow flies) not of infection or other semi-natural causes......I killed it.
2. If it was daylight I was on my hands and knees looking, if it was dark out I was worried sick.
3. There was no blood trail.........NONE even with a liver hit deer (The only deer I have ever shot that didn't leave a single drop of blood)
4. I KNEW the deer was dead in short order because I saw the arrow hit and got to watch the animal run off with the fletching sticking out in my binos.......there was no guessing.
5. I simply didn't look in the right place. The lack of blood made it a methodical grid search which took time. I wasn't obviously intending it to take 48hrs to complete but I knew it would be completed as long as I looked everwhere. I actually walked to within a paced off 12 yards of the deer the first afternoon and never saw him. That's how thick the cover was. If Ihad gonea few more steps to the left rather than the right the tracking job would have been over in 3hrs, not 2 days.

I knew I killed the deer the second I saw the arrow hit, I looked continuously until I had my hands on him.

100% successful hunt?.......No way in hell. But an animal I can call mine? Absolutely.
I'm not going to impose my views on another person regarding their own "kills" and the circumstances that surround them.In their hearts they will decide how they feel about each of them, and if they can truly look at that animal and be proud of taking it who am I to tell them they're not? But don't kid yourself and call it a successful hunt or ending. You did something wrong to get to that point, what you do or feel or say about it is between you and the animal.

Iwill never be 100% satisfied with mine even though I found him as quickly as circumstances allowed but I am very proud of the animal and DOconsider it mine. Everytime I look at him on the wall I STILL get angry at myself for not taking a few steps to the left.

I'm not proud of everything regarding the hunt OBVIOUSLY, but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm proud of the animal and how I killed him either.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM

For me personally, I think whether you claim the animal as a bow killed trophy depends entirely on whether you had given up on the search. P&Y feels the same way.

Matt/PA never stopped looking for his deer if I recall correctly, he never gave up on the search. The two situations are night and day IMO.

I would proudly display the deer in this thread. I do think the hero shot was a bit much, call me an ass.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM

I see Matt posted while I was typing and confirmed what I thought, he never gave up on the search and that makes it a legit kill IMO.

Quick Reply: 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.