HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Anyone else hunting in the snow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276611-anyone-else-hunting-snow.html)

joemr1288 12-02-2008 11:00 PM

Anyone else hunting in the snow?

This friday I plan on going hunting after classes. In southwest michigan where I hunt at we have about 2 inches of snow on the ground at the moment and I am not sure of what to expect for Friday. Is anyone else hunting with snow on the ground and are you seeing much at all?

IA Buck Hunter 12-02-2008 11:50 PM

RE: Anyone else hunting in the snow?

Yep, can see them from a long way, but they can also see your profile in the tree ALOT easier. If you have a couple stands set, hunt the one with more cover for your profile (if wind allows), cause they can pick out your movement easier.

BowHuntingFool 12-03-2008 03:41 AM

Yep, I'm headed out the door in a few with the snow camo, I love hunting in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!

tsoc 12-03-2008 05:08 AM

I wish we had snow on the ground!

Deleted User 12-03-2008 05:11 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Nubby_Stalker 12-03-2008 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Come to So. Central wisconsin......we got over 10" the other night.

I love the winter hunts....sooooooooo much easier to track...lol

...if you do get one....hunt over the gut pile a couple times....;)

davidmil 12-03-2008 06:23 AM

I was hunting in snow 3 weeks ago. I've more snow for the past 2 weeks but am unable to hunt. It's killing me. Season ends the 7th.[:@]

wisbowhunter2009 12-03-2008 06:27 AM

yup i am, we got about 7 inches on the ground here..

davidmil 12-03-2008 06:47 AM

Iowa buck hunter,.... you need to get you some snowflage or some Skyline Horizon shown here.:D You disappear in the snow.

1shotkill1993 12-03-2008 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

X2!

HoosierHunter79 12-03-2008 07:08 AM

im all tagged out :D

joemr1288 12-03-2008 06:18 PM

Do any of you guys ever stalk when theirs snow on the ground or not? And if so could you give me some pointers on how to do it, cause I really need some meat for the freezer!

hardcorehunter 12-03-2008 06:22 PM

saw a few deer tonight..only hunted an hour and a 1/2 though. had three within bow range. 4 inches of new here

hardcorehunter 12-03-2008 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Do any of you guys ever stalk when theirs snow on the ground or not? And if so could you give me some pointers on how to do it, cause I really need some meat for the freezer!
My experience with stalking whitetails is you get good exercise and that is about it. better to set and let them come to me

sandilands 12-03-2008 07:21 PM

Hunting in the snow makes things easier. Wet snow and a good wind will allow you to stalk/still hunt throught the tree's or on field edges. I took my first ever deer from the ground this yr. I had seen a good 10pt hrs earlier and wanted to see where he came from and where he was going. I walked to the other side of the field and walked the treeline. I came up on a doe bedded down behind a big oak tree. She was sleeeping...... I mean this was the only time I had ever seen a deer with its eye's closed. She didn't move an inch. I almost thought she was a stump at first. I stood there for 10min waiteing for her to make a move...... then her ear twitched. I drew back and grunted. She stood up and I released an arrow. Doe down. she only went 15yds and then dropped.
All I can say is what a sense of accomplishment.......... stalking a deer on their home turf.
At the end of the day try setting up on travel routed to and from bedding and feeding area's

Carpmaster 12-03-2008 07:22 PM

I will be hunting this weekend....The deer are starting to return to the fields on the west side since gun is over...

joemr1288 12-03-2008 07:35 PM

When hunting from the ground without a pop up blind whats the best way to set up on a deer trail without being noticed. Also I dont have any snow camo and can't really afford it at the moment so would that mess up my chances if I hunted from the ground without snow camo?

Soup du Jour 12-03-2008 08:05 PM

A few years back before I had snow camo I used a white bed sheet. I cut a hole out in the middle so that my head would fit through it. I took some dirt and made some lines with it to break up my outline. Overall it worked very good. Also I have seen people use white painter suits that they bought at Home Depot. Good luck out there in the white stuff. I am looking forward to going out this weekend for a sit.

Soup

Dozen Arrows 12-03-2008 08:14 PM

Mmmmm, snowwwww..... Just the sight of snow on the ground gets the blood flowing! Where at in MI exactly? I want to go hunting too!

tmontgo1 12-03-2008 08:18 PM

I wish we had snow here

sandilands 12-03-2008 08:22 PM

Go to a surplus store and get some army whites. I'm sure you could afford $20.
And by the way when I stalked that doe I was in realtree cam....... no white at all. But I did catch her napping;)

lnen#1 12-03-2008 09:17 PM

Just hoping for the first good flakes to fall here in KY, love tracking in the snow...watch your backtrack.

joemr1288 12-03-2008 10:23 PM

Any other advice from you experts out there on hunting in the snow? I want as much as possible! Thanks

NY/Al 12-04-2008 05:32 AM

I will be tomorrow, solid foot here, more in some spots! Gotta love that snow camo!

BigDaddy12t 12-04-2008 07:16 PM

This was last weekend for our ML opener.

BigDaddy12t 12-04-2008 07:18 PM

Here is 1 more.

BigDaddy12t 12-04-2008 07:20 PM

LAst one, if you look real close, you can see one of my ladder standsright in the middle of the picture.

Bullet Hole Bailey 12-04-2008 08:50 PM

I want snow!!!

MichiganWhitetails74 12-04-2008 08:55 PM

Joe - I'm in Howell...30 miles east of Lansing.

I was out tonight cruising the backroads and the deer are hearded up by me. They're just standing on the side of dirt roads like tame animals.

I'm going out with my dad with the Muzzleloader...and I'll bow hunt too.

Wear snow camo, play the wind. I like the snow because it brings them up close and personal. And Todd_Magicmanhas been teaching me how to track'em in the snow too... Good Luck!

fingerz42 12-04-2008 09:07 PM

I'll take snow over a bare forest floor anyday. This is from this monday from the PA gun opener. Seen the most deer I've seen on a PA opener in a long time. Shot at 2pm and by then I'd seen about 21 deer. Gotta love the snow camo too. :D

joemr1288 12-04-2008 09:13 PM

Those are some great pics, and unfortunately I can't really afford snow camo at the moment. Also MichiganWhitetails74 how do you track them in the snow, I am new to this so help is good!

fingerz42 12-04-2008 09:17 PM

See that red stuff beside my deer? It sticks out real well on a white snow. If you dont see any of that stuff, you should be able to see his tracks well enough to track him. For tracking I'm sure anyone would take snow over bare ground anyday. Makes it one heck of alot easier. And the drag will be easy to. Try to refrain from riding him down the hill like a sled though.:D

joemr1288 12-04-2008 09:19 PM

I also plan on hunting a treestand tomorrow thats on the west side of the property,about 20 yards in the woods. The wind is supposed to be out of the west south west, so would that be a good spot to hunt or not?